Subject Author Posted Replies

Bug
Odd bug. Found on my leg for the second time in a few days. Thought it was a midge, but trying to squash it resulted in it jumping very fast, like a sandfly. Google image search doesn't help.
96
96

supermarket fuel
An expert that I trust says that supermarket fuel isn't as good as other fuel. He says it's all down to the additives. Comments? Bill
184
184

Mortice gauge points ~ anyone ever had to replace these?
Good evening folks. I have a couple of old mortice gauges. Both well and regularly used. The points on both are getting to the point of being errm.... pointless. I've carefully filed them a few times...
3
3

What's the term I'm after...?
Looking at the edge of a house roof. There's mortar along the edge of the tiles (or, rather, there's some mortar left...). Under the tiles, there's some sort of odd thin board stuff covering the...
11
11

Putty alternatives
Evening all, What's this seasons UK.DIY-feted glazing putty alternative? The putty page in ScrewFux seems irritatingly empty.
8
8

Farmers DIY 4G broadband kit. Questions.
Interesting story......... Could the more tech-savvy hazard a guess at what sort of device he might plug the dongle into and how he converts the signal to get it on to fibre optic cable? Could this be...
18
18

Correct way to wire
Could someone have a quick look at the image and advise the correct way to wire light switch/ceilinglight and extractor fan. Assuming the components are correct, should I go from A to B to C to D OR...
22
22

[OT] Wake on LAN
Anyone kicked a windows box into consistently waking up when sent a Wake on LAN "Magic Packet"? Windows Vista Home Premium, will wake up some times when the packet is sent and the NAS always wakes up...
20
20

Roof sag
I'm holding back on purchasing a bungalow because it has a slight sag in its roof. It may be serious, it maybe minor. Vendor is looking at getting local repair man in to fix it. Everything that I read...
15
15

how to repair broken glass in this Aluminium door?
Hi all due to a 'domestic incident' one pane of glass in our front door has smashed. It's an old aluminium door with (I think) double glazed glass. I know it can be repaired as following a similar...
5
5

welding lamp
I've always had the problem with arc welding that before the arc strikes I can't see a thing, so sometimes the first strike marks the work. So I rigged up a couple of spotlights which illuminated the...
9
9

how to make 2 zones to existing common CH system in home & in annex
We have 3 bedrooms & an annex of 2 bedrooms & would like to be able to have different temperatures in the two spaces. Is it possible & what is required to modify the system & roughly what cost to...
3
3

Is there life after death?
For a smoke alarm...well, actually one of those heat alarms that you use in the kitchen that's less sensitive to steam and cooking stuff. Safelincs Ei3103RF , two years old. In my elderly mother's...
18
18

New boiler and controls ?
I've just had a Vaillant ecotec 428 fitted, a heat only, open vented system. Does the controller and roomstat work in exactly the same way as before, i.e. controller says heating on, roomstat calls...
1
1

Reverse Polarity Mains Sockets
Hi A friend of mine recently had seven white plastic double mains sockets repl aced with metal looking sockets. After about a month of this being done the RCD that covers these sockets started to trip...
27
27