Subject Author Posted Replies

Changing propane cylinders
Regulars may remember the conversations we had earlier this year regarding the installation of a used Rangemaster cooker, which went well, with a gas man running a copper pipe from the kitchen,...
61
61

Non standard construction
I'm think about having a look at a house of non standard construction, it's not any of the non standard types I know... anyone know what it is, and what problems it might cause me, I'm fairly sure...
24
24

Securing TV bracket bolts though cheese
It's a 30kg television that I'm at pains to mount properly with 10mm anchor bolts into a solid brick wall, except there is 40mm Kingspan foam insulation and finished plasterboard sandwiched between....
15
15

making a photography darkroom
Eldest daughter (14) is very much getting into photography. Digital of course, but she likes the idea of having a play with film. Someone on the local Freecycle was offering a load of darkroom gear,...
202
202

Electrical LED driver query
Hi, I have just replaced eight halogen lights in my kitchen with Philips 8W Dimmable LED units 8718696492307. They are working pretty well with the old halogen transformers but I would like to use a...
9
9

Screwfix Live 2015, 25-27 September, Farnborough
Screwfix Live 2015, 25-27 September, Farnborough. I went a few years ago, and it was very good. UK’s Largest DIY & Tradeshow. Product demonstrations, offers & deals throughout from the UK's leading...

Bath waste questions
Hoping I can get some quick advice on a Saturday afternoon, as I'm mid install and we have no means of washing if I dont get done. I'm installing a new freestanding acrylic bath and currently trying...
3
3

Yale wireless burglar alarm kit at Aldi
Aldi are shortly doing a Yale wireless Burglar alarm kit for £79. Not that we have anything worth pinching and a fifteen year old car out front, but there have been a lot of burglaries in our area...
10
10

OT: House clearance
Not DIY in the conventional sense, but the wealth of experience here may be of help to me. A close relative is very near to death and I will have the job of disposing of their effects when they've...
21
21

PURE Evoke 1S DAB radio question
We have had one of the above for a couple of years, one of these: But, despite the small size of the loudspeaker, there is too much bass or not enough treble for our liking, and there is no treble or...
53
53

4 core 2.5mm swa cable
We are in the process of completing changing our garden and as a result we need to think about sockets etc. Previously there were a number of outdoor sockets and seperate lights but all run off a 4...
4
4

I've just discovered Wago connectors!
I'd not heard of them but my nephew who's an electrician swears by them I bought a few on Ebay and they work out at about 40p each but are 25p each if you buy 50. Clever design - no tools needed and...
33
33

Dyson 110,000 rpm
That's just asking for trouble, Dyson products are unreliable enough as it is. 110,000 rpm?!? In Sydney to launch Dyson's latest Airblade products, Sir James Dyson talks to TechRadar about the motors...
21
21

DIY Electrical Work
I've just done a couple of minor electrical bits and pieces following replastering - refitting sockets and ceiling lights, plus added a spur to an existing ring. I've been pretty careful as regards...
46
46

Pedestal basins: plumbing and support
Hello, One last bathroom question for today! The basin was on the internal wall, its waste pipe ran (about 2 metres) under the floorboards through notches in the joists to the external wall. Because...
13
13