Subject Author Posted Replies

How many drills are enough?
Prompted by another thread, and as an exercise in recall, I thought I would see if I could remember the drills acquired over the years... Some were acquired from family, some bought, and some gifted....
21
21

When obsession meets master craftsmanship
Found myself watching this: a 12.56cc boxer engine from scratch using almost all manual machining. Fantastic attention to detail! Obviously a chap whole loves what he does.

Problems registering on www.uktradesforum.co.uk
I've been trying to register on but despite trying several email addresses I keep getting "The email address you entered is not allowed to be used." The forum doesn't provide any way to contact the...
2
2

Draughty window
Sliding sash doesn't fit the frame well. Proper solution is to remove the sashes, plane & coats of paint, but them being out for days is not a suggestion met with joy. Is there something I can do that...
22
22

OT:Crap apps of the year (so far award)
Android Auto: now connects 1/10 times (down from 9/10). Same phone, same car. Tried all self help suggestions, barring getting an iPhone. BBC Sounds: No idea why it has a "subscribe feature" since it...
54
54

Apple card scam
I recently had an email from an acquaintance of a couple of years ago. Bland, wished me a happy new year, enquired after my health, and asked me to do them a favour. I replied in similarly bland...
17
17

New broadband supplier
Yes. I know this has been discussed before. Sadly my brain doesn't handle Google group searches:-( Currently with John Lewis who are again threatening to drop the service. (Plusnet) I must be outside...
124
124

[OT] Midnight electricity cost -£73/MWh
will this nonsense of electricity prices end? Shows the live status of Great Britain’s electric power transmission network Shows the live status of Great Britain’s electric power...
28
28

DIY Protein?
The price of packaged protein powder has skyrocketed. I used to buy 1Kg for less than 10 quid; now the same brand is over the 25 mark. Eggs look like the natural replacement, but how do you put eggs...
6
6

Restoring DVD drive
My computer has now now been repaired. I mentioned that I *thought* the DVD drive was making too much noise at the start-up and asked if it should be disconnected. The repairer says the noise was from...
39
39

Vertical Blinds
We had blinds fitted in our new home. My wife is quite rightly a bit picky and decided that they didn't sit correctly. The supplier popped in today, fortuitously with a younger colleague who was not...
1
1

Future Gas Supplies
Recently the local rag had an article about some local road closures due to replacement gas pipes. Northern Gas Networks was quoted as saying they were futureproofing the network in order to continue...
9
9

Re: Heating system failure
First observations: The heat pump assembly has a short length of heavy duty, convoluted, plastic pipe feeding water to the heat exchanger, during the recent frost this pipe ruptured and ultimately...

Routing some bell wire
I’ve got a new motorised garage door and the mains supply for it is clipped to the garage wall high up (and not in a conduit). It’s an old supply cable for a halogen light that’s been...
14
14

RS packaging.
Ordered up a variety of Panasonic FM electrolytic caps from RS at the same time. All low volts so small. Total value under the free P&P. The whole lot fits easily in an A5 jiffy bag. Came in three...
3
3