Zoom, etc, qaulity.

Even on higher bandwidth links you can run into problems with VoIP and video conferencing applications, when other applications are competing for the same data link. Even though the actual total throughput required may not necessarily be that high, it is very latency sensitive.

Hence you might have perfect chat / video quality until one of the computers decides to check for email, or someone has a quick browse of a web page. That can be enough to introduce a glitch in the flow of data that is visible or audible.

To fix this properly, you need a router that understands concepts like bandwidth reservation, and tuneable Quality of Service bands. So that it can recognise these real time protocols being run through them, and prevent other applications having their packets gain priority over the real time ones.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not been able to find out how.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Let us know how you get on, Andy.

I've got a webcam on order so I can try out the desktop in my main AV setup. Using the TV as a monitor.

I've got some personal mics, so could use one of those - and perhaps the main speakers on low as foldback.

One of my main moans is pointing the laptop camera correctly gives a poor viewing angle for the screen - all washed out.

Listening to other contributors on Zoom, the best sounding ones seem to use a mic on the cable to ear buds. Like on a phone.

Really can't work out Zoom. Once contributor started out OK sound wise, then deteriorated into digital mush - but her pictures rock solid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry - FTC and about 70 Mbps

Not an raised hand symbol to ask the host to unmute that mic?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think it may also depend on your Windows version. Only way it works here is with a green screen background, so normal CromaKey. Posh software may be able to isolate the person from the background.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When we in the EU, all council material could only be stored on servers located in the EU. Not sure of the current situation.

Reply to
charles

I may be just lucky that in the room I have the colours/lighting just work and I sit quite well in front of the virtual background. Having just had a go with a piece of green felt over the bottom half of my face then the "background" also covers the lower half of my face. :-)

Reply to
Chris B

Might have to use the Windows mixer rather than the Zoom app? Don't think it's particulary easy though, I have vagaue memories of having to jump through obscure hoops to get Audacity to do it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

[snip]

That should be more than enough unless there are terrible latencies.

What is the ping latency? Mine is a horrid 40ms so if there is any kind of network stall the video freezes and then jumps. Sound usually buffers OK or breaks up completely - most times for all participants.

No. Literally more like someone randomly doodling squiggles on the screen.

Reply to
Martin Brown