zip line/wire diy

Anyone built one?

Lots of expensive kits abound... how hard can it be?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

You could ask in the shed ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thought I was ?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Made one many years ago when the children were young. It stretched from a suitable tree to almost ground level and used a block style pulley. A few days later I woke up in a sweat from a dream where one of the children had got their neck caught in the wire :( Needless to say I took it down that very same morning and blow being late for work.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Made one many years ago when the children were young. It stretched from a suitable tree to almost ground level and used a block style pulley. A few days later I woke up in a sweat from a dream where one of the children had got their neck caught in the wire :( Needless to say I took it down that very same morning and blow being late for work.

Andrew/q

Mmm can't quite imagine how they would do that? Can you regress yourself and elaborate please?

Cheers

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Used to do one regularly when I was a Scout Leader. The wire (60m) and tackle hasd to be inspected before use and an adult tried it out before the kids went on it. I suspect that nowadays it wouldn't be allowed.

Reply to
Lawrence

I have one. 100 meters of 10mm stainless rope, double anchored at each end. No trees, two triangles at the ends. Front end of a childs bike for the ro ller and a big fishing bouy to sit on. Drop of about 3m Children are 10 yea rs old. The speed varies greatly with the wind direction. I supervise when it is being used. Rugby tackling them gently when there is a following wind . They are never far from the ground. Highlight was one of their friends wh o could only talk gibberish when she got to the end with all the adrenalin. I have pulleys to tension it. I can tension it by hand, just. It goes slig htly faster if it is not as tight as I can make it. I tested it first, but I am too heavy to sit on the Bouy so I hung off a strap attached to the bik e forks. Felt like my arms were going to come out of the sockets as I hit t he motorbike tire that is the stop.

Reply to
misterroy

too right, can't have adults having fun can we :)

Reply to
Gazz

I set one up a couple of years ago for getting logs down from the woods behind the house. I used some old glider winch cable and a small pulley block. Top anchored to a tree, bottom to the tow hitch on the Land Rover. It was 300 ft long with a 20 ft drop (thereabouts) I was tempted to try it myself but untethered baskets of logs went down at frightening speed so decided against the idea! I did have some video of it but sadly lost in in the great hard drive crash of 2013.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

/ Used to do one regularly when I was a Scout Leader. The wire (60m) and tackle hasd to be inspected before use and an adult tried it out before the kids went on it. I suspect that nowadays it wouldn't be allowed./q

For the sprouts maybe..... ;-)

Trolley ordered!

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

That rather depends on how much tension you put into the cable, doesn't it?

Reply to
Johny B Good