Zanussi WDT1085 sometimes trips RCD at start of spin cycle

As subject - the machine does what it's supposed to do otherwise and there are no leaks evident. The RCD is a 30mA type. Wash cycles complete just fine, including 60deg or 90deg ones, so the heater doesn't seem to be the problem. If I reset the RCD after it trips, the spin cycle completes OK, too.

No unusual noises, either. Motor brushes are newish (1yr old).

Anyone have ideas about what the problem could be?

Reply to
qazwsxedc

Thoroughly clean carbon desposits from the motor, inside & out. No 'gtee its this of course

NT

Reply to
meow2222

With a 30mA trip, a big startup surge, and a few RFI caps around the house, its *probably* no problem whatsoever.

You MIGHT have a neutral/earth short somewhere.

Or just a lot of electronics.

My advice? Fit a 100mA trip across the whole board and 30mA RCBO's where the regulations say you really need them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Neutral to earth plus inrush current. Hmm. I'll look into that, thanks.

Any other ideas? I've been theorizing about whatever sensor the machine uses to spot an unbalanced load at the start of the spin cycle. If that sensor is mains-fed AND touches the (earthed) drum to trigger the machine's reaction (slow down, stop, reverse, spin up slowly, reverse again, spin up fast) then years of use could have worn it and exposed something that shouldn't become earthed. Don't know where to find that one in this model, though.

Reply to
qazwsxedc

The articles

?title=RCDboth discuss nuisance trips and options for resolving them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222