Zanussi Dishwasher DE 6850 - Salt Refill

Bought a house and the dishwasher was included. Unfortunately there was no manual included and now we have a red light appearing on the panel which I beleive means there is no salt in the machine.
If anyone has a zanussi dishwasher, model DE 6850 can you let know what I need to do to refill the salt. I found the compartement in the bottom of the diswasher. This si full of water. Do I empty this? Do I just pour salt in until compartment is full? Who knows?
/Mark
from snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com contains these words:

Just pour salt in till it's full of salt. Ignore the water that is displaced during this operation.
My 9yo has just done ours and found that if you pour the salt in too fast much of it gets swept back out again by the displaced water. Take it slowly.
--
Skipweasel
Trying that out now. Filled it with the majority of a 2kg bag of finish salt if that gives any indication to anyone.

from snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com contains these words:

Oooh, /posh/ salt. I just use Aldi's cheap stuff. It only flushes the ion exchange column anyway.
--
Skipweasel