Zafira horn buttons

Got a 52 Reg Zafira and recently one horn button has failed to work intermittently. It will only work when the steering wheel is turned slightly to one side so I guess it is a wiring loom issue?

My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the air bag going off.

The MOT is due in July and a new loom looks to cost around £15. The Zafira is well worth repairing as it has only done 28,000 miles in 18 years.

Reply to
Bazza

Bazza snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I need to fix a Toyota Aygo indicator switch that requires the steering wheel and airbag to be removed. A YouTube video doesn't even bother to disconnect the battery - as he says the airbag needs to be triggered by a voltage - so any handling or disconnection is not likely to cause a problem. He made the point though not to turn on the ignition otherwise it will throw up a fault code for faulty airbag that will need to be reset by a dealer.

Reply to
John

Bazza snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Try this for ideas:

John

Bazza formulated on Tuesday :

Disconnect the car's battery, then wait an hour before starting work. Air bag should be safely discharged then.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in news:rb57j4$ufm$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I think I would - but logic tells me that the airbag needs to be triggered by something in the car that would not be active when the ignition is off.

Reply to
John

My Combo passed 5 MOTs with just one button working.

Reply to
ARW

I asked my mechanic mate about this recently when I thought I might have to remove the steering wheel of my 04 plate Master. He told me that this is no longer an issue, even for something that old. Obviously, you don't switch the ignition on and off while fiddling.

Reply to
newshound

As it is not an MOT failure and the Zafira does 1555 miles a year then just leave it.

Reply to
ARW

I hadn't read this thread, but every time I saw the subject, kept imagining it was about some clothing, with buttons carved from a mythical Zafira's horn ...

Reply to
Andy Burns