Mobility scooter beeper.

How can I quieten the reversing beeper on a mobility scooter, preferably leaving the "horn" functionality normal? It's quite a new machine, for road & pavement.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

A small piece of masking tape partly over the hole in the sounder.?

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's what I'd suggest as it won't invalidate the warranty.

Failing that, contact the supplier, they'll probably sort it for free.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

But that would mean the horn will be lower tone as well?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Depends on the type of sounder.

If it's a typical piezo-electric one, the element is inside a cylindrical container and there is a hole on the face of the container. Obscuring part of the hole, reduces the sound level but doesn't make any significant difference to the frequency of the sound.

It works for the beepers on PC motherboards as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If I remember correctly on the wifes TGA superlight I removed a link which stopped the horn when reversing but allows the horn to work when the button is pushed. check with a maintenance/repair company who will be able to tell you if yours can be disabled.

Dave

Reply to
dave

The only thing I wonder about that is whether there is a requirement to have this operative if it being driven on the road. IIRC, one has to have an orange flashing light on a pole for that?

My father's one, which is more like a golf buggy is a pavement type and has a button operated horn but not a reversing beeper.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Quite the reverse , it's only HGVs that are allowed/required to have reversing beepers for road use. Perhaps it's the pavement use that makes it necessary or a selling point by the manufacturer.

Reply to
fred

My car has a reversing beeper and was made that way and so does the replacement car I have coming next week. It is a big car but hardly an HGV;-) pete

Reply to
turtill

What is it pete, I'm sure I've heard of someone being done for having one on an ordinary car, as being against construction & use regs.

Reply to
fred

I misunderstood the subject. My car beeps inside the car to let me know if some cripple is behind me out of view in a wheel chair when I am reversing. I usually ignore it anyhow in case it is MIL;-) pete

Reply to
turtill

wouldn't think so as places like Halfords sell the kits.

Council vans use them as well (the average Transit sort) for safety reasons. Lights are covered by regulations but beepers should not be.

FR

Reply to
Flying Rat

This is the best reference I can find for this subject, it may be out of date:

Reversing alarms

  1. Regulation 99 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations+3+ permits reversing alarms to be sounded on roads on goods vehicles with gross weight not less than 2000kg, buses, engineering plant and works trucks. This discourages the fitting of reversing alarms to many vehicles because they need to be switched on and off depending on where the vehicle is used.
Reply to
fred

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My Nissan Primera has a COLOUR REVERSING CAMERA !!! So there!

George

Reply to
George

Do the hazard warning lights come on with the ignition? :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

does it not work in the same way to warn you of low obstructions Ie wall, post, Etc ---- or is it only for "some cripple"

Reply to
Alan

what about white people, do you bump into them LOL

Reply to
Alan

necessary or a selling point by the manufacturer.

True but Halfrauds also sell things that aren't legal to put on your car like under car lightening etc.

Reply to
Hybrid

replying to Sponix, val wrote: They asking for 65.00 to reprogramme the horn!

Reply to
val

Mr Pounder Esquire