You can't get the customers...

Phone rang around 9am;

"I have a problem with my airing cupboard door, How much to fix it"?

TMH; Whats wrong with it?

"I don't know".

TMH; Is it falling off? Jammed shut? Won't close?

"I don't know, I'm not a carpenter. How much to fix it?"

TMH; If I don't know whats wrong I can't tell you I'm afraid.

"OK, I'm in this afternoon, what time will you be round?"

TMH; I couldn't fit it in till Friday. Whats wrong with it?

"I don't know, but I can't wait till Friday".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've learnt (another) expensive lesson today. A local couple who i've worked for before rang me last Thursday to fit a bathroom cabinet, and a porcelain cover for the sink.

I said I would fit it in when I get a chance, give me a week, if I get a chance, I'll be round on Friday afternoon, otherwise it'll be next week.OK, no problems they said.

Couldnt make it Friday as I didnt finish until 6, got home, 2 messages on the answerphone - 'you said you were coming, what time?, and 'we've waited in but you didnt come, ring us to let us know when you are coming' I rang, and said I'd be round when I get a chance, as I had said yesterday.

So, 4pm Monday, I get a call, 'are you coming today?' No.

8am Tuesday, another call, are you coming today? I said I'd be round at 4pmish. Got there at 4:45.

Now this job is to drill 4 holes, and screw the fittings in. I had told them it woudl be £10. Complete waste of time for me, but I thought I'd be doing them a favour, so not particularly bothered about the money. Started with the porcelain cover. Captive bolts in the wall, so drilled/put them in, and saw it was a bloody awful fit. Tightened up one of the bolts, to nowhere near 'really tight', and the whole thing shattered. FFS. I packed my stuff up, told him I'd drop the cash off tomorrow to replace the piece of junk he'd bought, and I wouldnt be doing anything else as it was just not worth my time to do 'favours', then be out of pocket.

So, that's it now, no more favours, or cheap jobs, and I'll be refusing to fit any more junk that a customer has bought.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Just the same as when my mum rings me for help fixing her computer problems...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Should of asked him how he knew it was broken! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

:)

Reply to
NT

Could of.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Had exactly the same at St George's Hospital, Tooting.

Superintendant Radiographer ... "The films are falling off"

Me ... "What's happening, what is it that's making them fall off?"

Sup. Rad. in aggressive/defensive mood "How am I supposed to know?"

The films are can be seen exposed at all times and the usual cause is films properly located at bottom but not at top, or films curly not flat because the dryer is set too hot.

Me, "Sigh. You'll have to have a service visit then (needing a 520 mile drive with 2 overnight stays in a hotel) let's say £1,100 before I start."

Derek G

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Could have.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Teamviewer (or similar).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Wood off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Wood eye

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Mornington Crescent.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Giggle.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Is that move allowed on a Wednesday?

Reply to
John Williamson

WoodRuff. At least it's OT......

Reply to
Ian

Yes, that's the key thing....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Make your money while you can....

The last X-ray I had was a case of walking 10 yards down a corridor, being positioned in front of something, then being told to go back to the consultant. By the time I'd walked the 10 yards back, he'd examined the image on his computer... Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

my dentist has been doing that for years.

Reply to
charles

Aye, even our cottage hospital x-ray machine is digital now, though it wasn't about three years ago. It also has a ,net connection to the radiographers/consultants at Carlisle so for routine stuff you don't have to make the 60+ mile round trip just for an x-ray. There is also a video link to the "out of hours" doctors in Penrith.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They haven't had xray film in the main machines in our local NHS hospital for years. Even a few years ago when they looked like they were putting films in the machines they weren't.. they were charged metallised polyester(IIRC) sheets, the X rays affected the charge on them and they then scanned it to get the image.

Reply to
dennis