WTF is that?

We recently stayed in a holiday bungalow in Suffolk which had many quirks in its construction. A particularly interesting feature was this thing in the ceiling, directly above the double bed in the main bedroom:

Any ideas what it's purpose is/was, please?

Reply to
nemo

nemo a écrit :

Looks like a stove flue to me.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Upstairs lavatory?

Reply to
F Murtz

In message , nemo writes

A useful handhold whilst working your way through Kama Sutra?

Reply to
News

I wondered when somebody would get smutty. Luckily I cannot see the picture. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It's the cleaning door for the bottom of a chimney. I'd suggest that it is in a dangerous position, if over the bed.

Reply to
harry

In message , nemo writes

I'd go with the cut off flue as you say it is a bungalow. What heating system was provided?

Lots of quirks found in cottages converted for holiday use around Southwold. Local builders and BC used to accept alterations not found elsewhere. My mother owned a cottage which was once the outbuildings for a windmill. Reed thatch with pan tiles on top!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Does to me as well. Bit odd to be going through the ceiling like that, single wall flue pipe gets rather hot.

Is it for a stove now removed from the room or the bottom of a pipe from a rear exit stove into a T in the room above, to facilitate the remove of soot.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The only thing wrong with that picture is that it looks wrong for a stove pipe, being seamed from sheet.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Couldn't check for evidence of a flue, no access to the rear of the property. If it was a former flue, why not cap it in the roof space and make good the ceiling?

Heating is currently from an oil-fired boiler[1] in a cupboard off the living room, with hot storage tank in a cupboard in the hall, obviously retrofitted with no attempt to conceal any of the radiator pipework.

[1] Do all oil boilers smell so strongly of diesel? If our gas boiler smelled at all of gas I'd be very worried.
Reply to
nemo

Hidden camera. Check youtube asap.

Reply to
Kevin

In message , at 12:43:31 on Sun, 12 Jul

2015, nemo remarked:

Many do smell of diesel, because even a small leak (and after it's fixed) the stuff lurks around. Unlike gas which disperses in minutes.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Single wall rolled steel sheet stove pipe is just like that, not all stove pipes are enamalled cast iron.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Diesel? Not many oil boilers about that run on diesel, most run on kerosene. Different smell but still quite niffy. Niether are overly volatile so small spills or drips when servicing hang about. I'd be more worried about smelling the flue gases, very different odour.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Similar enough stink to my nose to the smell at filling stations, but I'll take your word for it. Key message is: best not to install such a smelly device in a cupboard in the lounge or other living area.

At least there was a CO monitor in the lounge.

Reply to
nemo

Still stuck at Missionary Position #001 here.

Reply to
nemo

Someone put a floor-mounted safe in the attic?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet