stained and now bowed timberboard.

I have a couple of pieces of timberboard (the stuff made from strips glued together) one 400mm wide one 300mm. To be used as a shelf along the top of some boxing in a bedroom.

It's been sitting around in the house quite happily for a few months and was still nice and flat. Today I stained it with a couple of coats of Colron wood dye and now it has bowed (or cupped?) quite noticeably - inwards on the stained side. doubly annoying as I was hoping to install it and paint the walls this weekend

This doesn't seem to be something to be expected - but any comments before I complain about it

Reply to
Chris French

so stain it on the other side as well

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Paint both sides? Sounds like the stuff used was of the shrinking type often based on cellulose, and this aspect is used in a aero modelling to tighten up fabric or tissue covered surfaces. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Some years ago I built a cupboard with timberboard with a pair of hinged doors that met in the middle. Assembled it and all OK. Stained both sides of the doors and now there's a 1 cm gap between them!

Reply to
The Other John

Dope. No not Brian, the stuff is called dope.

Reply to
dennis

Depends which way its bowed. Water based stiff will bow tangential grain wood till it dries completely

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is always a risk when you finish just one side of a board. Try staining the other side, and see if that helps pull it back.

Reply to
John Rumm

You have to paint/stain/other treatment both sides to prevent this. Bare timber is constsntly changing moisture content. Painting stops this from happenng

Reply to
harry

It is a waterbased formulation I think (without going to find the tin).

Anyway, thanks folks, gave it a coat on the back and left it and it now seems a lot flatter. Will try it in place tomorrow

Reply to
Chris French