Would you buy another kitchen from Wickes?

I don't think you are.

I liked B&Q, you check all the stuff you need is on the shelf, then buy it all, you pick the order off the shelf and cart it home. If its a big kitchen you need a mate to help carry .....

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Just had a look at B+Q's website, and they seem to have changed their delivery prices and bands since I got my kitchen last May. Delivery now seems to be 2 weeks and 5ukp for all kitchen items. When I got mine, you could order as many cabinets, doors, fittings etc as you wanted, and delivery was 2 days and about 13ukp. As soon as you added worktops, delivery was 2 weeks and 40ukp. So I got everything except the worktops from B+Q, and the worktops deliverd by the local Focus within 2 days for 13ukp. There were a couple of damaged items in the B+Q stuff, but courier came to collect them day after I notified, and brought replacements, so I wasn't held up.

Reply to
John Armstrong

I've lost the original posting but one other comment I'd make is we didn't order worktops from Wickes, and our delivery guy agreed that was a good move. Damage is more frequent to these and it's a long way back. Also choice is limited and no 4m units. Instead try a good local wood supply company who have a wider range and will do the butt/scribe joint as well if you want.

Reply to
G&M

They never got the chance. Having stamped out stating that I hoped the place burned down with them in it, I cancelled the order on the way home.

And I shall never set foot in a Magnets ever again, and I encourage everyone who will listen to do likewise.

Good man.

Next week; Carphone Warehouse.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks for the comments everyone. Looks like I may have been a bit unfair about Ikea. Also wish I'd realised that it would have been relatively trivial to mix and match units from Wickes with worktops from somewhere else, or whatever. Still, that's the value of this group. Next time...

Reply to
rrh

Bastards.

Any place that would take on Ernest Saunders deserves boycotting.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's fine and obviously weighs into the decision.

However, here there was a catalogue of screw ups, repeated failed attempts to get it resolved and the supplier doing nothing to remedy the situation. That should cost the supplier big bucks.

In a situation like this, I might give the supplier one opportunity, with a very strong warning of the consequences to get it right. That is the line of least resistance as you say. After that it would take a great deal for me to relent from cancelling the business.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Could have been worse - you could have walked into sharps/dolphin/moben to ask directions, and been bombarded with sales calls for the next three years....

I must have been lucky with them - few problems. All I know is that one of m'colleagues is forever complaining about how poor O2 customer service is, and that I always get straight through to the CPW O2 customer service line & they've dealt with everything promptly so far! YMMV

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Ordinary B&Q stores stock a limited range of styles and limited selection of items in those styles, as indicated in the kitchen brochure. I thought the warehouse branches stocked everything. The ones in Huddersfield and Slough seem to as far as I could tell.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

The stock control in some of ours (SW London) is rubbish. I tried four branches without success to get nothing more complicated than 500mm Premier drawers and 400mm regular drawers. Of course re the latter for several ranges they had loads of 400mm door+drawer fronts. It was just from a chance comment at another branch that I discovered that Yeading is big even by B&Q Warehouse standards and has a lot more stock.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

We made the serious error, many years ago, of buying a Moben kitchen. I wouldn't touch them with a large & shitty stick.

One of the shop assistants actually followed us out of the shop and screamed abuse down the street...

Reply to
Huge

He who recovered from Alzheimers?

Reply to
Huge

The very same. Carphone Warehouse, even worse than you thought they could be.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Should be back in jail to serve the rest of his sentence then. (Mind you, I am not boycotting Guinness)

Magnet are quite good as a builders merchant, but the dedicated kitchen showrooms staffed by middle aged women with attitude are a v.poor experience. They rank one place above Moben/Dolphin (Homeform Group).

Wickes/Been&Queued/Ikea all a similar variable experience, but Jewsons, Howdens & my current favourite Howarth Timber shouldn't be overlooked.

Reply to
Toby

Agreed.

I shall never know.

Reply to
Huge

Apparently.

Reply to
Huge

I wouldn't have bought a first kitchen from Wickes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Really? Which branch?

Reply to
hudsterou

Yep.

Near St.Pauls cathedral. Dunno what we did to upset her.

Reply to
Huge

Here's my theory.

Perhaps she was used to 23 year old world conquering traders with red braces going in there and thought this to be the norm. Most of these individuals that I've met seem to know how to abuse themselves.

Then when somebody sentient visited didn't know how to handle it, and felt that she should provide the abuse.