Wossit called?

When you patch a door frame by cutting out the damaged portion & inserting a piece of timber - with the ends at 45 degrees to add strength?

Its something along the lines of 'French Cleat' or 'Dutchman's Patch', although its neither of those.

Doing its not the problem. I just can't recall what its called.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Is that a scarfe joint?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Scarf joint?

Al.

Reply to
Al

Not sure a plain 45 degree 'butt' joint would add any strength - only possibly make it less visible?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a Butler's Ribaldry, very popular on doors below stairs. The term has since been taken over by gastro-pubs for inclusion on their menus and usually come enrobed in onion trufflement and embattled with fruit musings.

Reply to
Lino expert

I've heard it called a "scarfed-in repair"

Reply to
RubberBiker

Thanks Lino, a sensible answer at last. Everyone else claimed it was an angle grinder.

Sounds nice. Do you get chips with it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

replying to TMH through Tim's Post.

It in this sense, it doesn't add any strength whatsover, it simply to make it easier to screw the two pieces together - and for inserting the tenon into the sill mortice.

BTW make sure that you have the scarf running the right way or you'll be doin' the job again very soon under warranty as the scarf will rot quite quickly (especially if untreated material is used)!

Simply called a scarfed repair - and I'd hate to think what you'd make of a tusked tenon joint!

If it's not done correctly, then it will be a problem - and as for your memory...

*Big* * Grin*

Sorry Tim for replying this way, but I've got this fellah killfiled - but I just had to reply to this one LOL

Reply to
Big Grin

Frites...chips are orf.

Reply to
Lino expert

Which part of door frame confused you? I'm talking door frame, where the frame has been damaged by the door being kicked in. If the ends or the patch are at 45 degrees its much stronger.

Rot? Why would a internal door frame 3 floors up rot?

I wouldn't make anything with a tusked tennon joint. Out of date technology.

If you're going to try & insult someone, at least make it understandable f****it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Depends. In some applications a scarf joint is used to increase the glue area. If you're not using glue I guess it's moot :)

Al.

Reply to
Al

Dave,

There's no such thing as a "45 degree 'but' joint" in joinery (or carpentry for that matter) - it's usually called a mitre or scarf joint in this case.

A 'butt' joint is an "end to end" joint - as will happen say when joining a stairs handrail end-to-end using a mechanical 'secret' fixing,

In the context of the OP - then that is simply a scarf joint which has little strength but facilitates the fixing of the two pieces of frame together using either a glue or mechanical fixing - or both (which when done correctly, equals the strength of the original frame) - and must be done running the correct way.

I could go into a very long and detailed description of the job - but that would be giving away some 'tricks of the trade'.

As a matter of interest to the group, unless the building is a listed property, and replacement joinery is not allowed or prohibitively expensive, then scarfing is not really a cost effective "repair" - especially if poorly done or not fully understood (and I would always advise replacement).

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I called it a 'butt' joint because I assumed by the description the two pieces of timber simply butt together with no form of joint - however much of a bodge this might be.

I've seen it on things like architraves too. And other mouldings where there is something to support the material. But it's more common to use a

45 degree with this as it is less obvious.

I'm sure there are several ways to joint timber to give a good strength - but a door frame is usually attached to a wall etc and some simply wouldn't bother - relying on the wall for the strength.

That would never do on a DIY group.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember RubberBiker saying something like:

I've heard it called a "total pain in the arese".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Cash" saying something like:

Ah, gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan gowan. Inquiring minds want to know and all that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A 'scarf' joint is not a "bodge" Dave, it's a recognised method of joining timber dating back to time immemorial.

Sometimes on architraves and other mouldings, a scarf joint in the middle of the run to join it looks bloody awful as shrinkage can open the joint - and a butt joint is then far better, as timber seldom shrinks in its length (but it has to be a proper connection).

What about combination door or vestibule frames where one (or even two) 'leg[s]' of the frame is not fixed to the wall - or even EJMA or some types of box frame windows?

I could give a definitive answer to that - but there are a few sensitive types who habituate this group who I may upset.

Cash

Reply to
Cash