What's it called when you...

What's it called when you create a loop on the end of a cord by intertwining the cord end back into the body of the cord?

I'd like to make about 6 of them, and I'd look up how to do it if I knew what it was called.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Do you mean splicing? eg. an eye-splice.

Reply to
PJ

Eye splice rings a bell. Google concurs.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Yes, that's it thanks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

splice

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Various useful links via here, btw:

the other day as I was looking up similar things!)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Mainbrace more like ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

Backsplicing.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Do you mean an 'eye slice'

the most vital of all knots - the Bowline?

Rick Hughes

Backsplice does not form a loop

Reply to
Rick Hughes

And it's dashed difficult to get started too. Used to do it as a kid, but adult (addled) brain just can't get the initial few moves right - good enough to reduce fraying though!

Incidentally, splicing was what 'the thing for getting stones out of horses hooves' that used to be on jack knives was for. I used to have a really good one, sadly lost on a mushroom foray somewhere. No doubt all illegal now.

S S
Reply to
spamlet

Yes, I realised that afterwards...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

A marlin spike?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, except they come separately too - to go with your bodkins and sail maker's palms. There's an interesting old sailors 'gift shop' with a lot of this stuff in, on Liverpool's Albert dock: and no doubt many other touristy spots too...

spamlet

Yep - I have a knife & spike set (plus pliers) for working on all this string here:

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

The key thing is forming the start ... the so called 'crown knot' after that it's easy. The animated link I posted shows how to get 'crown knot right'

Recently spliced anchor warps to chain, which was a new one for me.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

any decent chandlers stock these items ... sail makers palm was a good buy.

There is also a good A2 sized sheet (folded to A4 for ease) that is produced by Marlow Ropes ... it covers all the knots you will ever need, plus splicing and some decorative rope work. It was free from Marlow when I had mine.

IMHO the best to learn are Reef, Bowline, Rolling hitch, Round turn & 2 half hitches and figure of 8 knot

Couple that with end splice and eye splice and you can cover just about all you need.

I find splicing & rope work very therapeutic ... which is probably a bit worrying.

Reply to
Rick Hughes