blown DG

Double glazing unit seems to have a blown seal, condensation in between the panes.

Are they repairable, is it worth it, best option?

Thanks :-)

Reply to
Dwill

Recently had a fanlight go myself. Some say they are repairable but I am not convinced. Ours is being replaced.

Reply to
Invisible Man

This is a FAQ (frequently asked question). Some people say that you can drill holes in them and add desiccant. However the consensus is that you measure them up, and pop to your local glass supplier who will make a replacement for a reasonable sum. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Some will reassemble the existing glass with new desiccant spacing strips, providing the glass meets current safety regs for its location.

Common reason for failure is if the drains in the frame aren't working, and the sealed unit end's up sitting in a puddle in the frame. Whilst you have the sealed unit out, make sure water which gets in the frame can drain out. The units are normally sized to sit on glazing spacers, to make sure they are lifted clear of the drainage channels.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

had 5 repaired last year .... al failed within 6 months .... won't repair again.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

A local company advertises they can repair misted units without even removing them from the frame. Anyone know how they do that?

Reply to
Phil

By imagination I would think. You need to replace the desiccant and reseal so I would say its not possible without taking it from the frame.

Reply to
dennis

That's what I thought. too.

Reply to
Phil

Would they not be inserting some sort of gas that counters moisture?

Reply to
Dwill

How would you insert it in place? Drill through the frame and plug it afterwards? It might be technically possible, but I'm dubious.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Someone suggested to me that they drill a small hole in the glass itself. I reckon that would be very difficult/impossible.

Reply to
Phil