Ideas wanted

I need to create a turntable to operate outside for a few weeks Its going to carry approx 5 to 10Kg's and will be 75cm diameter. Preferably I'd like to run it from 12volts for safety reasons. Happy to build a frame beneath it to support whatever motor/contraption I end up with. I may even create a square floor with the hole cut in the centre for the turntable. I just need ideas to drive the thing. Car window wiper motor? tumble dryer? Ideas folks? how are your creative juices this morning?? TIA

Reply to
Vass

In message , Vass writes

How about the motor drive from a rotating amber beacon.

12V dc

You don't mention rate of rotation but the output from these motors is a tiny pulley with belt drive to the bottom of the beacon. So a big step down ratio.

Any farm will have broken beacons lying about the workshop. Trees etc!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Most machines on Robot Wars are driven by wheelchair motors so maybe they'd do the job?

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Large diameter lazy susan bearing, motor drive by belt to an inner pulley, Large diameter belt pulleys live in washing machines.

Otherwise a front-wheel drive car hub. Something with McPherson strut suspension and where the hub unbolts from the strut.

Not really that much safer than 110V from an isolating transformer, or even 240V through an isolating transformer (although that then falls foul of some paperwork)

Windscreen wiper motors are good, and a recycled PC case fan to blow cooling air. You need a motor (probably older) with a rotating output shaft (and a reciprocating linkage) not the more compact sort where the rotary to reciprocating motion is inside the case.

Wheelchair motors are great, but very similar to starters and harder to find.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

nice one thanks.. I live where 40% of the population are over 50 and I'm surrounded by mobility shops. will go ask Cheers

Reply to
Vass

rotation is slowish, I'd say 1 revolution per 5 seconds. would one of those lights really have the strength?

Reply to
Vass

Doh! They're nothing like starters - they're similar to wiper motors.

Wheelchairs also have a final drive gearbox that would replace the belt drive. Handy if you have it, not crucial if you don't. Belt drives are helpfully tolerant of crude alignment,

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm liking this idea all the more, maybe utilise the pot to regulate the speed too.

Reply to
Vass

How about an old battery drill - one that still works but the battery is knackered.

Reply to
ScrewMaster

Vass laid this down on his screen :

A front hub, disc and stub axle from a scrap car to which you fix the turntable. Add a large pulley from something like a washing machine or drier, then drive that with your 12v motor. The motor is not so easy - In the old days of generators rather than alternators I would suggest a generator used as a motor with lamps in series to reduce the speed/power.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Vass writes

Probably not, they only rotate the reflector, but you have another 5:1 step to add a bit more torque:-)

Vehicle wheel hubs have been suggested. An alternative might be an engine water pump spindle.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb