Wooden worktops - any that don't require care and maintenance?

Had bad reports from some owners of wooden worktops over the scratch resistance and general overall performance.

Are there any exceptions to this, or is something artificial a better bet?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

No exceptions beyond a synthetic lacquer of biblical proportions.

Go granite if you can afford it, or stainless steel, or if you cant stay with melamine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Melamine tends to look crap if you do anything non-standard like have a curving end, or a cut out for a butler's sink, or anything apart from a straight run which terminates at a wall at both ends.

Anything a little non-standard tends to require something which looks the same if you cut it (i.e. not plastic over wood chips). Which normally means wood, granite, or synthetic stones of various types. Granite is also prone to scratching. Maia from HomeBase looks promising (but also expensive) and it is not clear if it is synthetic all the way through or just one up from laminate.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Which reminds me. I saw on the TV someone pouring then polishing a concrete worktop. Anyone tried this?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

You can have a post-formed Melamine worktop made up. This is cut to size and shape before being coated. Even the insides of any cutouts are coated with the edges all being waterproof. I had a kitchen worktop company make up lots for me (they were for stacked workbenches in a computer room, and I did have some problem convincing them I didn't actually need every cutout waterproofed). They weren't particularly expensive (15 years ago).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

:-) Another top tip :-)

Reply to