Wood Glue

I guessed that was probably how he got away with it. He seemed to use it as a universal glue...probably overkill for many things.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 11/09/2013 12:24, Bob Eager wrote: loss paint kept water off the glue.

When I had a large tub of it .. I used it for everything as well, it is strong & gapfilling .... not good health wise as it is formaldehyde based, it can irritate lungs & skin quite easily. But damn good wood glue.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The dinghy had but the sprinkler tripod did not. It was lashed together as a quick fix but has lasted extremely well. As you can imagine when being used it is soaked and when not being used is subject to the elements.

Reply to
fred

My dad worked a lot evenings and weekends with Cascamite and similar. And glass fibre.

He died of cancer of the oesophagus.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

How well did it impress her then?, do tell;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

The discolouration planed off OK but exposed gaps in my hand cut joints. I learned a bit about glass cutting while finishing the door. My woodwork master was keen to get some glass shelves cut for it as she collected little glass animals. I felt Oak would be fine.

In answer to your question, nothing to interest Adam:-) Leaving schools, jobs, new friends etc. she moved on.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Formaldehyde and hydrochloric acid (a trace from the stomach as acid reflux)=carcinogen, unfortunately.

Reply to
PeterC

So it is permanently in the water? Thought not.

Reply to
harryagain

Used a couple of times a year and kept in the garage in between?

Reply to
harryagain

Women never appreciate the work involved in such projects anyway.

Reply to
harryagain

Certainly damned good glue.

Reply to
harryagain

Sad.

It is a deadly poison used in some sterilising procedures in the health service. I think they have given up using it as it is too deadly and hard to dispose of safely.

I think there is a move to ban the glue for this reason.

Reply to
harryagain

Which makes is somewhat surprising that there used to be this product:

"Formaldehyde Lozenges (BPC 1973). Formalin Throat Tablets; Formamint Tablets. Each lozenge weighs about 1 g, & contains paraformaldehyde 10 mg, menthol 2.5 mg, citric acid monohydrate 20 mg, & lemon oil 0.0006 ml. ... The use of the names Formalin & Formamint is limited; in some countries they are trade-marks."

I have long thought that was what I was regularly given in the sixties - but had to go searching to find a reference to back it up. The 1973 date certainly seems to make it feasible.

Reply to
polygonum

Reply to
Bob Eager

Nobody leaves a small boat on the water. Too much can happen to it. So you are full of crap.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes, there are many nasties that were given as medicines at one time but aren't now - well, there are but they've been tested for safety when testing for danger would be appropriate.

Reply to
PeterC

But I grew up hearing of the olden days when they used mercury/lead/arsenic/other nasties as medicines. but not now, surely? By the time I hit the planet medicine was all brightness and light and pharmaceutical companies only produced the safest substances.

Oh yes - then I started to hear of the thalidomide issues...

Reply to
polygonum

Lots of cures will kill youin large doses. Most in fact.

Reply to
harryagain

That's why medicines cost so much, all the testing to prove safety. Even then they get it wrong sometimes.

All medicines/cures have side effects. Sometimes bad enough to kill. None of these chemical were intended for the human body. Their curative properties are incidental.

Reply to
harryagain

Bollocks. There are quite a number of medicines which are intended to be exact replacements/supplements of something the body does make - but for some reason in inadequate quantity.

Reply to
polygonum