Any rec's for wood glue please.

Good evening to all. My old pot of Cascamite powder is coming to the end of its days. It has done well, probably more than 10 years. I imagine that in that time technology will have moved along a bit. So before ordering I thought it sensible to ask you wise folk for any recommendations. My main criteria are glue line, ease of use, strength and pot life. Almost entirely internal use and mainly for restoration of old stuff. Family stuff, not commercial. There is no way I will go back to rabbit skin glue unless it is absolutely required. Good stuff but a horror to use. Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

My basic rule for restorations is to use the same glue the original maker used. I get through a reasonable amount of the dreaded hide glue that way, of course!

I used to use Cascamite but found it very unforgiving, if you know what I mean.

Nowadays, when not using hide glue, I'm probably using Titebond Original. It's not waterproof but I don't do outside stuff. They call it an aliphatic resin but as far as I am concerned it's like a PVA but without the creep. Take a hardened dribble of typical PVA and you can bend it: do the same with Titebond and it will snap. There are various different formulations of Titebond, so pick the one that you want. Of course, most people quite rightly will be perfectly satisfied with an ordinary PVA such as Evostik Resin W.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

There isn't a single best glue. sometimes you want it fast, sometimes dark, sometimes waterproof, sometimes reversible, sometimes strong, sometimes gap filling, sometimes endgrain friendly, sometimes slow, sometimes easy to clean up etc, etc

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

I use Evo-Stik Wood Adhesive Interior. Clean, wipes off if you've got it in the wrong place, easy to spread on the joint, and the joint is stronger than the wood! A six quid bottle lasts for absolutely ages because you don't need much.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I want a glue that is ready to use when I need it, frost proof, sets below 10deg.C and hasn't blocked the dispenser nozzle!

I must have been 15 when I discovered that Cascamite 1 shot goes purple when used on Oak:-(

Slightly sideways.... anyone fancy a restoration project? Clearing my sister's house recently, father's old roll top desk (as seen in every western since Hopalong Cassidy) fell off the pallet and disassembled itself. Nothing got broken but it needs a pot of hoof and hide, lots of cramps and endless patience:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

How did you get your Cascamite to last that long? It goes off in a year or so for me - the powder hardens, I presume through moisture absorption.

As you will probably hear there is a 'revised' version of Cascamite around these days - Extramite? I am unsure if it is simply rebranding or a genuine alternative ('improved?') formulation

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Good PVA glues are very good for close fitting wood joints - Evostick Resin W for example is as good a D3 glue as you can get - if joint is close one. Fact it dries clear can be advantage. I use that for most joinery. indoors or out.

If you want good fast reasonably strong that exapnds to fills gaps a PU glue (such as Gorilla) is fine, just realise if it is foaming to fill a large gap it strength is very low.

When I do large section timbers for outdoors I use a 2-part epoxy - and that is suitable for structural timers or boat hulls - really is amazing glue (West System Epoxy)

Cascamite though is still a superb one-part resin glue - not much beats it on strength. If you are used to it .... then why not stay with it. Immensely strong, gap filling & waterproof.

Reply to
rick

co-incidentally I was using Cascamiite last weekend and the first batch I mixed up curdled. Second batch was fine. Third batch curdled again. It was in good condition. Fine powder. No lumos, Bone dry. Very strange so I googl ed it to discover I wasn't alone. Threw the rest out and bought a fresh qua ntity

Reply to
fred

Any glue recommendations for joints that are not tight?

Reply to
misterroy

Epoxy, or more practice on joint fitting ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Personally I like Titebond original for that that, works well, good initial grab, and sets fairly quick.

Titebond II is handy if you need more open time on complicated glue ups

- its also water resistant, but you can clean it up while wet with a damp rag.

I only use TB III on exterior stuff, or for things like cutting boards. Not so keen on the darker colour glue lines you get with it.

Reply to
John Rumm

There's always the hot melt glue gun for rough work. Instant, clear, waterproof.

Reply to
stuart noble

Karbodyfilla

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed - A multitude of uses...

(worth searching out the Diresta hot glue tips video on youtube BTW)

Reply to
John Rumm

Will take a look. Thanks. The Toolstation sticks are dirt cheap, if a little short for the Bosch gun

Reply to
stuart noble

I think I got stick from Screwfix that were long ones.

Reply to
Chris French

Bought a huge bag of them from CPC years ago - still working through them...!

Reply to
John Rumm