Using interior grade wood glue for a bird table

I need just a little glue and have plenty of interior PVA wood glue. A new bottle of exterior grade, even a small amount, is very expensive. What problem could I be looking at by using the interior stuff (Wilko brand). After all, it's only a bird table!

MM

Reply to
MM

It wont last more than a few weeks before coming apart, in my experience!

Reply to
johno

It turns to goo. Not hard to build a bird table that doesn't need glue.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

it will fall apart when wet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is it water soluble? I remember making on using Uhu once it actually lasted about ayear. the end came due to an overweight pussy cat.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

depending on its location maybe a generous coat of varnish on top would keep out the damp?

Reply to
Dave West

As others already said, PVA doesn't work in the wet - it will partly dissolve.

Before you rush out to buy it, I'll warn you that Exterior PVA (which is actually EVA, and significantly more expensive) won't work as an exterior wood glue either. It's only waterproof when used as an additive in cement mixes.

I can't think of any exposed exterior timber which relies on glue. Probably a good reason for that...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

movement is excessive under humidity changes, that's why.

however you forgot plywood...that uses a LOT of glue, mark you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The name gives it away ... 'interior' i.e not 'exterior' A small bottle of polyurethane glue is not that expensive.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Oddly enough a hot glue that is not water soluble may actually be the best option. Its flexible and can take a bit of movement.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , MM writes

By some quirk, this message ended up beside a previously saved one on a similar subject from Andy Dingley many moons ago that I though was worth keeping:

From: Andy D >What's the best stuff for outdoor use?

Not gluing it. If you're outdoors, you have to deal with moisture-related movement as a much more serious issue than indoors. Rather than trying to glue it rigidly (which the movement will break), use non-glued joinery techniques that permit more movement.

As to adhesives that are weather resistant, polyurethane (Gorilla, Balcotan, Titebond poly) are waterproof, so long as you protect them from sunlight. Most of the solvent-based cartridge "Changing Rooms" adhesives (Gripfill, Titebond Construction) are also weatherproof.

Nothing seems to have changed, in short, don't ;-)

Copyright acknowledged with thanks to the author.

Reply to
fred

I've decided to buy a 250ml bottle from B&Q this morning. £5.08.

So not cheap!

MM

Reply to
MM

Wot ? Never heard of boats or airplanes glued together.

Cascamite is often recommended.I have used polyurethane glue to hold together a wooden tripod I use to hold a water sprinkler. Its held together now for nigh on

10 years. Cant stand the stuff. Very wasteful and impossible to remove from skin except by abrasion.
Reply to
fred

a wooden tripod I use to hold a water sprinkler. Its held together now for nigh on 10 years.

by abrasion.

Welcome to the 21st century :)

Boat building is all done with Epoxy these days, but I don't think it likes damp timber - I'd go with polyurethane, this stuff:

but I suspect the price is a bot high for a bird table.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Well, I'm using screws as well! But wood glue in the joint always "firms" up the structure whatever it is.

MM

Reply to
MM