liquid hide glue

Hello seasons greetings for all members. I am new to your group. I like to learn from the experience of members about making liquid hide glue.No branded liquid glue is available here in my and nearby cities.Hide glue is available. SaeedCh

Reply to
SaeedCh

Hello seasons greetings for all members. I am new to your group. I like to learn from the experience of members about making liquid hide glue.No branded liquid glue is available here in my and nearby cities.Hide glue is available. SaeedCh

Reply to
SaeedCh

Tue, Jan 18, 2005, 6:53pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (SaeedCh) claims: Hello seasons greetings for all members. I am new to your group. I like to learn from the experience of members about making liquid hide glue.No branded liquid glue is available here in my and nearby cities.Hide glue is available. =A0 =A0 SaeedCh

Seems pretty farfetched, no glue available, except hide glue. Where are you located?

JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get.

- Albert

Reply to
J T

On Wednesday 19 Jan 2005 2:53 am, SaeedCh scribbled:

Hide glue is typically melted in a glue pot and applied hot. For some detailed instructions, you could go to:

any number of luthier sites you can easily find on Google.

In North America, we can also get liquid hide glue commercially, but I have no idea how they make it.

Here in the Yukon, we also use water the same way as a wood glue. Melt it, apply it to the wood, clamp it, leave it outside and in a few hours and then it is impossible to take apart. Stonger than the wood. :-)

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

people

Reply to
SaeedCh

Hello Saeed,

I'm not quite clear what you're after? Am I right?

You do have non-liquid hide glue. This is solid beads that you soak in water then heat in a pot.

You want a cold liquid hide glue, like this

?prodcat=1It's stored in a bottle, ready for immediate use.

Now as far as I know, it's not practical to make your own liquid hide glue. It's a complicated bit of chemistry and Titebond is the only brand commercially available, because the simpler formulations just don't keep well.

I have an old (1921) copy of Spon's Workshop Receipts, which includes a number of recipes for liquid hide glue. None of them are particularly reliable! Some use hide glue and nitric acid, one uses 2 parts of hide glue and one part of whisky, kept in a well-stoppered bottle ! These just aren't recipes that are easy to make, are particularly safe to make, or seem reliable for storage.

I like liquid hide glue and I use it a lot. But I could manage without, either by making up hot hide glue when I needed it, or by using white PVA glue that is cheaply and commonly available.

If there's a problem with hide glue, posssibly because of the use of cows, then you might be able to use fish glue or rabbit-skin glue instead. I also use rabbit-skin glue a lot, especially for paper and bookbinding. Unlike hide glue it is flexible when dried, but otherwise it's quite similar.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

(idle curiosity) Do you know how cow and rabbit glues differ? Collagen is collagen, one would think. Perhaps the difference isn't species, but hoof versus skin?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Well I can tell which is which when I'm using them, but not as to _why_.

One is Kim Basinger's lips, one is a boiled cow ?

AFAIK, hide glue is made from hides, not from hooves. Although you could make glue from hooves and the various internal gristly bits, they take too much cooking to be worthwhile. So for at least a century or two the hooves went off for either fertiliser or case-hardening steel, and the glue was made from un-tanned trimmings of the tanning trade, or from old horses.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Wed, Jan 19, 2005, 7:45pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (SaeedCh) says: I am near lahore.Various glues are available but are not of animal origin.I want to make liquid hide glue to use it easily.Thankyou.SaeedCh

Well, here's instructions for making hide glue, from scratch, which is what Iake it you want to do:

This site has a LOT on using it:
I take it you're going to use it for woodworking. What type of woodworking?

JOAT Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people what they need to get.

- Albert

Reply to
J T

Don't know the chemical differences, but the differences in the results are quite obvious. This was known at least as far back as the middle ages.

There's also fish skin glue, which is like rabbit skin glue, only more so.

rcook5

You can make hide glue by cutting rawhide into tiny pieces and cooking it gently with water until it becomes thick and vicsous. Strain it, pour it onto a metal sheet and alow it to dry. Then flake it off and pound the larger chunks down to a convenient size.

Result: hide glue.

Here's a method from a Web site: (note that vellum is pretty much the same as rawhide for our purposes)

If you want to make your own hide glue to use in gesso, or for other projects, it is easy enough to do.

4 ounces of vellum scraps 2 pints of distilled water a small enamel pot piece of loosely woven cloth (to use as strainer) bowl ? can be disposable plastic

Bring the water to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer and add the vellum scraps. Do not let the water boil once the vellum is added to it. This will reduce the effectiveness of the resulting glue. Allow this to simmer for one and a half hours (about half of the water will evaporate). Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Strain it through a plain white piece of loosely woven cloth into a clean bowl. Let the glue to sit at room temperature in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight overnight. It will congeal into a jelly. Turn the bowl upside down and remove the jelly onto a piece of plastic wrap. Slice the jelly into ¼ inch slices and allow to dry out of sunlight. This will take several days.

To use the glue: take a slice or two of the dried glue and warm it in a bit of water. You can do this in a small metal or ceramic dish over a candle or on a stove burner. Once again do not allow it to come to a boil or it will be useless as glue. "Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells 'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets fly with a club. -- John W. Cambell Jr.

Reply to
rcook5

Fish skin glue is rubbish, IMHO (like sandpaper, rather than glasspaper). The _good_ stuff is made from swim bladders, not skin.

The best of all is supposed to be made from sturgeon, but that's hard to find (and sturgeon are endangered).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I was warned off this for archival work and told to always work with fresh hide, not dried rawhide. Rawhide isn't entirely "raw".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

For archival work, perhaps. But I don't think it matters for carpentry/cabinetmaking. However if you can get fresh, de-fleshed and de-haired hide, then by all means use it.

rcook5

Okay -- A further check of the web reveals that hide glue is apparently difficult to get in some countries -- including New Zealand. (Don't ask me why.) Further it can be made from ordinary gelatin, as someone mentioned in this thread.

Here's a link to a recipe and instructions from New Zealand for those who don't have access to hides.

rcook5

Thanks, followed another poster's link to OldTools for an exhaustive discussion of hide glues. Collagen is collagen, but it comes in different lengths. (One _can_ use Knox gelatin as glue, but it's apparently very tricky to do. Which begs the question, if one refrains from staining one's cherry project, could one glue it up with cherry Jello?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Sorry, not "archival". I meant restoration work on quality stuff, but woodwork not books.

No-one has been fool enough to let me loose on them yet, but there's a

17th century oak chest that needs a few replacement decorative split turnings making for it. I'm thinking of hide glue rather than wax as an adhesive.

Also some sword work (I've never worked on anything before 1800 before

8-) ), but that's rice glue.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

No idea.

But I have made dye lasers from jello (lime and tangerine worked best). Really nasty cheap Korean whiskey-drink worked too. You've got to love those artificial colours.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reminds me of Kipling's "And the gods of the copybook headings limped up to explain it again."

The anniversary of his death was a couple of days ago. The average person probably knows more lines from Kipling than from any other poet.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Would it surprise you to know that that's one of my favorite Kipling poems?

Along with:

"It was our fault and our very grave fault and now we must put it to use. We've a million reasons for failure but not a single excuse."

Sometimes a wonderful poet. And greatly unappreciated these days.

rcook5