Wood floor, stone hearth slab - How to carpet?

Good people of uk.d-i-y,

I have a coldish, north facing, ground floor room which we would like to make more comfortable and usable rather quickly.

The floor is old T&G floorboards, in good condition (sanded and sealed 3 or 4 years ago), but obviously a bit gappy since they've probably been down as long as the house has been up, so say 160 years.

In the centre of one wall, there is a stone slab, say 150*50 cm, at about 7mm (but rather uneven) above the level of the floor.

If I wanted to carpet this room, (and SWMBO says that I do!), how would I go about this? My concerns are mainly:

  • How to avoid damp in the stone area (either coming up through it or condensing on the top surface of it.

  • How to avoid having too much of a bump where the stone hearth slab is

- it's an old house, so a little bump would be in character if the carpet wouldn't wear on the edges of the bump.

(I know I could take the boards up, insulate below and relay them without the gaps and also remove the stone slab while I was about it, but I really don't have time for that right now.)

Cheers,

William.

Reply to
William McNicol

Underlay up to the slab and around it. PVC sheet over the slab Fit carpet Minimal height difference

Reply to
Mr Alun Davies

its an old concrete fireplace hearth. knock it out and replace with floorboards the right thickness. you might need to support the floorboards in the centre with a short piec of joist.

Reply to
tiscali

Looks like a big slab of real stone and goes under the (closed up) fireplace, so removal starts to be problematical....

William.

Reply to
William McNicol