How to fit a mortise lock

Hi all,

Was looking for another way of securing studio door in new house and decided to fit an extra lock. Didn't want to fork out for a guy to come and fit it so been checking out some DIY forms. Someone pointed me in direction of this

and we just got the bits and did it ourselves.Thought I'd post it up despite risking looking like a spam monster, hope it helps.

Reply to
pandaeyes

Sod the lock! That site is a goldmine for practically everything!!

Thanks. :))

Reply to
EricP

The message from EricP contains these words:

Didn't hear them mention the need to make sure you're fitting the lock to the lockblock in the door. Could be tricky, that one, if fitting it to a lightweight door.

Reply to
Guy King

Would you put a lock like that in a light door? Or, could you put a lock like that in a light door?

I have never tried.

Reply to
EricP

The message from EricP contains these words:

No, but that's something useful the clip might have made clear - lots of "You'll need these tools" but could have done with "And you'll need this sort of door".

Reply to
Guy King

Are they for real?? "Fitting a cat flap - first measure your cat!"

Reply to
Geo

The message from Geo contains these words:

Seems reasonable. Catflaps (well, petflaps) are available in different sizes, and very small cats may have trouble with flaps fitted too high.

Reply to
Guy King

Valid point. :)

Reply to
EricP

We have a fat cat who has varied between just big and chunky, to fat to bloody huge at which point she struggled to get through our standard cat flaps. Fortunately she is now back down to the chunky end of the scale.

HLAH

Glad the site has helped people. I think it's fab and am glad I found it. I'm bloody useless at instructions and this spells everything out!

The cat flap thing did make me laugh though - like measuring them up for a suit! My cat's quite thin but he has a sagging belly, so if I were to fit a cat flap - which I'm not going to, there's only so much wood work a person can do - I' d have to measure my Sammy! Poor thing.

:)

Reply to
pandaeyes

The message from "pandaeyes" contains these words:

What you need's an old-fashioned style roller skate.

Reply to
Guy King