How to handle seam in carpet with foam backing

I have *really* inexpensive carpeting in the basement that has a foam backing. I am all set to have a friend with carpet-laying experience come by to join the seam with the iron and glue. But then he asked about the foam backing (apparently not something he ever dealt with with better quality carpets).

Do we seam a carpet the same way with a foam backing (or will it melt?) Or do we use tape or some other method?

TIA, Scott

Reply to
sclind

Greetings,

I have used foam backed carpet and I just glued it all down. I didn't worry about the seams and it has held up for a couple of years so far.

Hope this helps, William

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
William.Deans

I used top quality tape on both sides of the joint, one run for each side, and glued it in place. Make sure you do a minor back cut on the foam to prevent bulging. Was instructed by a former pro installer.

Carpet||Carpet foam /\\foam back

Reply to
Mike Dobony