Damp flooring - Should it all come-up?

I've had a hot water cylinder leaking slowly for some weeks. Water has spread through the floor at least a metre. The floor is vinyl tiles on hardboard on pine boards. It's in a downstairs room & the boards are over a void above the footings with probably a 1 foot gap; there are airbricks into the void.

I've taken some of the tiles & hardboard up & the boards underneath are generally a little damp to the touch & obviously damper in a few places. The wood seems sound, but I found mould or mildew in 1 of the damper spots.

The water looks like it's spread further than the metre or so I've taken up so far. Should I take up the tiles & hardboard everywhere that might be affected by the water, or just let it dry out slowly

Any advice would be appreciated,

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

|I've had a hot water cylinder leaking slowly for some weeks. Water has |spread through the floor at least a metre. The floor is vinyl tiles on |hardboard on pine boards. It's in a downstairs room & the boards are |over a void above the footings with probably a 1 foot gap; there are |airbricks into the void. | |I've taken some of the tiles & hardboard up & the boards underneath are |generally a little damp to the touch & obviously damper in a few |places. The wood seems sound, but I found mould or mildew in 1 of the |damper spots. | |The water looks like it's spread further than the metre or so I've |taken up so far. Should I take up the tiles & hardboard everywhere |that might be affected by the water, or just let it dry out slowly | |Any advice would be appreciated,

Leave it for few weeks to see if it dries out OK. Then jump on it to see if it is soft.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'm thinking more of whether it's worth doing anything now to prevent wet rot or anything else nasty developing later.

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

You might need to force dry it esp as you have vinyl tiles - drying can only be to the cold underfloor. Lift a board, point a fan heater down the hole and leave it on for a day or 2. On the other hand if the underfloor ventilation is good enough you may just need to monitor it to make sure.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom