Woman's Magazine Advice

The point is also that the thermostat measures the temperature, and switches the heating off automatically.

That is not likely. A kW is a measure of the energy released per unit time: the power output. A kW/hr would be the rate of change of that power output.

(Are you confused by kilowatt-hour which is a common unit of energy for electricity supply? It is a power of one kilowatt supplied for one hour, and is equivalent to 3.6 MJ)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Climate control in a car - same thing!! My mum has moved ownership from an old car which, in winter, would have the temperature knob set to meltdown - to one in her new car which is marked in DegC and about 20 of those should be the chosen setting. Except, it's placed at 35+ when starting out and wound down to 4 DegC when it gets unbearable. Why?

I guess it's something to do with aquaintance with the Gas Mark knob on her cooker...

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Aha!

it's like cooking with gas. Turn up to full to get the water in the saucepan to boil in reasonable time, then almost turn off to simmer.

Now electric hobs don't work like this - there's HUGE thermal inertia in my non-ceramic non-halogen non-inductive bog standard rings. It's taken me three years (and counting) to get used to them. I still can't fry successfully without filling the kitchen with haze. With gas, I could turn out a perfect cooked breakfast every time - even when half asleep. I still miss the gas grill.

Perhaps one can demonstrate the operation of a thermostat/TRV with a demo wth a gas-oven. Turn on oven. Set temperature. Watch as oven roars away on full. Note that it doesn't roar away more if set temperature is increased while it is coming up to temperature - ergo increasing the temperature setting on the thermostat does not make the room warm up faster.

Regards,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Why would you do that? Wouldn't they get hidden under the bananas and oranges?

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's a well-known problem with theatre and cinema design. The auditorium has to be brought up to temperature before the audience arrives, but as soon as they settle down into their padded seats (and the lights go on) the cooling system has to react quickly - and quietly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Its a rented office so not much I can do about it, plus the business owner is the worst culprit!

Reply to
Séan Connolly

It all depends on what activities people are engaged in. IIRC the figure used for people sitting around and not doing much is 300W per person. 1kW strikes me as quite energetic and equates to an energy usage of over 800 Calories/hour.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Nah, this is Wales mate, we don't get fruit.

Reply to
Séan Connolly

No, about 100 watts in those circs.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yep the 300W was something I picked up a long while ago and is clearly wrong.

Reply to
Ed Sirett