Woman's Magazine Advice

Spotted by my wife:
"People give off heat equivilant of a one bar electic fire. So if you have a lot of people round at Xmas - turn down the thermostat on the central heating."
Presumably thermostats don't register heat given off by people!
At least my wife spotted the strange advice.
John
john wrote:

I thought it was about 150W per person, not 1000W - but I suppose it depends on what you are doing!
gg1000 wrote:

Or who. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The point is that the heating required for a small family will be too much for an extended family gathering. But let it be until dinner is served.
I heard it is about a KW/hr. It will vary with exertion as well as food intake. It might be better to try for a warm welcome. Keep an eye on granny and watch out for restive kids.
Weatherlawyer wrote:

The point is also that the thermostat measures the temperature, and switches the heating off automatically.

That is not likely. A kW is a measure of the energy released per unit time: the power output. A kW/hr would be the rate of change of that power output.
(Are you confused by kilowatt-hour which is a common unit of energy for electricity supply? It is a power of one kilowatt supplied for one hour, and is equivalent to 3.6 MJ)

yeah, all that chucking of the car keys in the fruit bowl generates a lot of heat ;-)
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:47:28 -0000, "San Connolly" <mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:>> I thought it was about 150W per person, not 1000W - but I suppose it

Why would you do that? Wouldn't they get hidden under the bananas and oranges?
--

.andy

Nah, this is Wales mate, we don't get fruit.

It may be more if she invites a load of old cows round. <g>
--
Cheers,
Set Square
| Spotted by my wife: | | "People give off heat equivilant of a one bar electic fire. So if you have a | lot of people round at Xmas - turn down the thermostat on the central | heating."
The real figure is about 100W resting and 200W exercising.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>

My point is that the thermostat will recognise this additional contribution and turn the heat down all on its own. Some people just don't understand the function of a thermostat and the advice added to the confusion. Surely they are best left alone (or within + or- a couple of degrees)
john wrote:

If the thermostat (or TRV) is in the same room then it should, but it *feels* warmer when there are many people present in a room and thermostats don't do subjective :)
Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Could you write a FAQ about TRV's for my work ?
I get in the morning and all the TRV's are full open as its too cold, come midday its too hot, so all the TRV's get set to zero and the windows fly open, come 5pm....
You get the picture!

Same problem here. I helped it a bit by "recalibrating" the TRV head so she *thinks* it is flat out. :-)
San Connolly <mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

Get a programmable stat that adjusts the temperature to what you want at any time in the day. Then set the TRVs to give the maximum temperature in any one room. Where the stat is mounted - usually living room - the TRVs need to be removed. Once set TRVs shouldn't need fiddling with.
--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Its a rented office so not much I can do about it, plus the business owner is the worst culprit!
john wrote:

Isn't the point - discussed here at length a few weeks ago - that women don't understand thermostats <ducks for cover...>. Certainly SWMBO treats ours as rotary 'on/off' switches (no, on second thoughts, make that 'on' switches).
Given the source of the article, it was probably written by a woman - and read by them too, so they will never learn The Truth...
David

Unfortunately our office is almost entirely male and not one of them seems to understand the concept of a thermostat.
Then again, exceptions prove rules (or so I was told in O level chemistry)
Lobster wrote:

Yes, mine will turn a thermostat up "to heat the room quicker" then when it gets too hot will open a window. It never seems to occur to her to turn it down when the room is too hot!
| john wrote:
| > wrote: | >> | >>| Spotted by my wife: | >>| | >>| "People give off heat equivilant of a one bar electic fire. So if you | >>have a | >>| lot of people round at Xmas - turn down the thermostat on the central | >>| heating." | >> | >>The real figure is about 100W resting and 200W exercising. | | > My point is that the thermostat will recognise this additional contribution | > and turn the heat down all on its own. | > Some people just don't understand the function of a thermostat and the | > advice added to the confusion. Surely they are best left alone (or within + | > or- a couple of degrees) | | Isn't the point - discussed here at length a few weeks ago - that women | don't understand thermostats <ducks for cover...>. Certainly SWMBO | treats ours as rotary 'on/off' switches (no, on second thoughts, make | that 'on' switches). | | Given the source of the article, it was probably written by a woman - | and read by them too, so they will never learn The Truth...
After complaining bitterly at June <mumble> times, I thing she has got the hang of thermostats :-)
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
Lobster wrote:

Climate control in a car - same thing!! My mum has moved ownership from an old car which, in winter, would have the temperature knob set to meltdown - to one in her new car which is marked in DegC and about 20 of those should be the chosen setting. Except, it's placed at 35+ when starting out and wound down to 4 DegC when it gets unbearable. Why?
I guess it's something to do with aquaintance with the Gas Mark knob on her cooker...
<me runs, ducks and hides faintly expecting my dinner sometime>
-- Adrian C