Wiring a extractor fan

It would be a DP with pull cord, away from the shower/bath, so should be ok!?

John, thanks for the comments re: humidistat. However, I don't think I can justify the extra cost.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

These work nicely and ought not break the bank:

John Rumm

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure that these unit do their job. However, my wife is set on the shower light versions as they look cleaner and won't take up as much space.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Dave writes

Then tell your wife to install it then.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Not a problem - install exactly what you were planning (light/vent arrangement, ducting, inline fan etc), and add one of these to it:

have used one of these in exactly that situation - with one of these over the shower:

flexible duct in the loft to an inline fan, and a flap vent out of a gable wall end it made for a very effective and quiet solution.

The additional cost of the sensor is trivial compared to the complexities of solving your requirements in an automated way by any other route.

Reply to
John Rumm

Where would one of these humidistat be sited in the bathroom? Are they SELV and constricted to particular zones? How would they be wired into the existing fan/light?

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave

They are mains, not SELV, hence they need to be in Zone 3

No connection to the light as such - for that you simply split the switched live that goes to the existing light and take it to your transformer thence the embedded 12V lamp in the fan vent.

For the fan you take an unswitched feed from wherever is convenient, fuse down if required, and then power the fan using the humidistat as a switch. Hence you can wire it exactly as you would a light if you want with a switch wire back to a junction box (the way I did it) or with the stat inline with the feed.

The light will then come on with the other lights in the bathroom. The fan will come one only when instructed via the stat (or via you overriding the stat using the control knob which also has always on and always off positions).

Reply to
John Rumm