Windows 7 32 or 64 bit ?

and how else is that to be arranged?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

NFS is an awful protocol. It doesn't keep state. Other processes can open the same file and write bits to it without the other processes being aware. That is why so many programs use stupid lockfiles to give some attempt and stopping files with part data from other processes being created. It works as long as all the processes are written to look for the lockfile but it sure ain't a good protocol.

Reply to
dennis

Video layer

simulating a video card + driver that maps to a windowed X windows is not massively fast..

everything else is fine: in program computation gets pretty much as much CPU as the basic linux timeslice allows, and its not a huge overhead in context switching, so CPU intensive stuff is fine.

networking takes a BIT of a hit - again there is a 'virtual ethernet card' presented.

But its for sure fast enough to access the internet full speed, even if the 100Mbps LAN is only about 20...

So whatever you play games on/watch HD TV over the internet on /watch flash on, make that your primary OS.

I am not sure why one would want a virtual Linux machine tho. Except to play with.

I had playing with computers in about 1984 when I started to program them for a living..

What I want is a stable platform for the things I need to do, and thats linux. I tolerate windows because I cat get two apps I need on any other OS.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh dear. No. I am not going to say how stupid teh above is.

I simply cant be arsed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well yes I have said how stupid it is. Why don't you say why you think its wrong so we can have another worthless argument where you fail to be correct.

Reply to
dennis

I mean in the specific sense of languages that actually have exception handling constructs built in, to support throwing and catching exceptions and all that entails[1], rather than just the generic sense of how you handle things programatically when the world does not go the way one would like.

[1] Like automatically invoking destructors on the hierarchy of objects up the call chain (even when some of those methods are late bound virtual methods that may have not even existed when the exception handling was originally written), making sure "finally" blocks are executed, that the stack is tidied up, exception objects are caught in places able to handle them, and their payload can be used etc...

Some of these requirements are specific in nature to OO designs, and hence benefit greatly from specific capabilities added the languages designed to handle the complexities introduced.

Reply to
John Rumm

well I bet whoever wrote the compiler used some pretty arcane components then :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Huh? IIRC Linux was not around in 1984.

I haven't noticed performance issues running VMs with VirtualBox. I wouldn't even try running graphics intensive games though. OTOH MS VirtualPC is sluggish for everything.

Reply to
Mark

I never said it was.

I said that was when I stopped playing with computers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bring back APL, I say. The only "write only" programming language I've used.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Shew

Try Whitespace.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , hugh writes

I think I'm right in saying that if you're using TP V6, you can't transfer the data back into V5. Of course, you can probably keep V6 as it is (as an archive), and start V5 again separately, with a 'clean slate', However, you might also think about using properly supported mail/news client which is nearly as good as - and very similar in appearance to - TP. As I'm sure you know, Thunderbird and Forte Agent come well recommended as good candidates. And at least you will then be able to leave Demon without much hassle.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:42:59 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote: Just to state the obvious - but "old" software does not mean worn out! It never wears out. Amazing.

Reply to
mike

In message , mike writes

Uh???