Window woodwork/mouldings - where to buy? (or even complete windows)

We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the wood holding the glass needs replacing.
So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly, complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing strips if that helps describe them a bit more.
I've searched for 'wood window mouldings' but that hasn't produced much of any use.
--
Chris Green
·

Try Googling for sash windows. Plenty suppliers of the mouldings used on those. Which may be shared with other types.
--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

On 04/08/18 09:21, Chris Green wrote:

generally you custom make these. Probably by talking a profile on what you have and grindng a profile cutter for a spindle moulder.
If you are lucky an ovolo cutter exists already for a table router

Josef Stalin

Surely some standard ones are 'mass produced', we have a whole village full of houses built at the same time with the same windows in them. I'm sure we're not the only village with the same ones.
--
Chris Green
·

On 04/08/2018 13:24, Chris Green wrote:

If you search terms like "glazing bar" you should find loads of suppliers. There are also plenty of suppliers of router cutters for door and window construction.
--
Cheers,

John.

It produces loads of non-wood glazing bars and quit a few wooden beads but no wooden glazing bars that I can see. Searching for 'wooden glazing bar' does no better.
So maybe I'll have to set up the router.
... or are windows normally built-up from a basic frame made from simple rectangular wood plus bits added on?
--
Chris Green
·

On 04/08/2018 15:20, Chris Green wrote:

The simplest frame is just a rectangular section with a rebate cut out of the corner for the glass to sit in. Then a quadrant like profile bead to fix above the glass to hold it in place.
You can get a bit posher than that but profiling the leading edges of the frame that stick out in front of the glass to add a bit more interest. Mainly used for a Georgian style bar when you have a number of smaller panes within the whole casement / sash E.g:
https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/browse.php/section/1253/level/4
Those can give you a bar profile like:
http://www.sashupgrades.co.uk/45-glazing-bar.html
The glass goes in the rebates on the under side. Then quadrant or something a bit more ornate like an double ovolo:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OAK-FLOOR-BEAD-3-0m-LENGTH-SOLID-CORNER-EDGE-COVER-TRIM-STRIP-BEADING-/162521714774
will hold the glass / DG unit in place.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 04/08/2018 13:24, Chris Green wrote:

The more common moulding sections should be available at any decent real wood supplier (not at sheds - they never have anything so useful).
Talk to your local glazier and he may well be able to recommend someone who has already replaced some in the village. We have to do this in our village at least for all the Grade II listed stuff.
There is a local joiner who will make exact copy windows to order (for a price which reflects the amount of bespoke work that goes into them).
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Do you have a local timber products merchant? For example, this one covers East Anglia: https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/timber-sheet-materials/small-mouldings
THeo
Theo wrote:

Almost any wood yard will have or be able to supply

Are you sure? The above Ridgeons link doesn't show *any* wwoden mouldings suitable for windows, just beads and a few decorative shapes.
--
Chris Green
·

On 04/08/2018 15:21, Chris Green wrote:

Do you mean for the bar or the bead?:
https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/glass-bead-moulding-9x15mmx2-4-metre https://www.ridgeons.co.uk/glass-bead-moulding-15x20mmx2-4-metre
(if you did us a photo of the bits you want to replace, we might be able to point at something suitable)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 04/08/2018 17:06, John Rumm wrote:

Forgot the link to the bars:
http://www.mumfordwood.com/casement-windows/bars-and-mouldings.html
--
Cheers,

John.

What I'm after is what they call casement windows, it's not clear whether they sell the wood to make them though.
... pictures to come.
--
Chris Green
·

The bar.

Yes, the beads, but nothing to fix them onto! :-)

Yes, I'll maybe do that, at least a photograph of what I want (the disintegrating ones are first floor so a bit difficult to take pictures).
--
Chris Green
·

Here you go:-
http://isbd.uk/windows/
--
Chris Green
·

writes

A Google UK search on *hardwood glazing bead profiles* brings up a raft of possibles.

--
Tim Lamb

But they're *beads*, I want the thing they're nailed onto!
--
Chris Green
·

On 04/08/2018 17:58, Chris Green wrote:

They look very similar to the John Carr[1] windows I had in my last place.
The profiles on those are fairly straight forward and could be cut on a table saw.
[1] taken over by a large international window firm IIRC.
--
Cheers,

John.