window sill sealant

I have metal window sills (newish house), but on some the builders seemed to forget to seal the gap between the sill and the brick. This obviously lets water in, and I guess will cause rust and untold other damage. What sort of sealant should I use to fill this gap ? It's about 4mm (sorry, I was born post decimalisation).
Ian

Frame sealant (believe it or not ;-): http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id $481 (brown) http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?&id3114 (white) Flexible & paintable, try to get some squished in to the gap rather than just a smear over.
--
fred

Ian Cornish wrote:

Well! I've never heard of that before. Steel doors, etc., yes - but...

Is it really necessary? No "drip" in the sill? If it's in ordinary masonry, it will be subject to enough damp to cause rust, anyway. I should *hope* it's galvanised. N.B. nothing lasts for ever.

Pre-decimalisation people should be able to deal with the conversion easily. Normally numerate people ditto. It's not very difficult, especially in these days when 98% or so of pupils get A at Maths. GCSE - or is it?

It is when you consider that the other 8% get B or lower ;-)
ETV
-
Pre-decimalisation people should be able to deal with the conversion easily. Normally numerate people ditto. It's not very difficult, especially in these days when 98% or so of pupils get A at Maths. GCSE - or is it?-
-It is when you consider that the other 8% get B or lower ;-)-
err... 98% + 8% = 106% ?
clearly you are part of the 2%...
;-
-- Davide
snipped-for-privacy@news.diybanter.com says...

-=WHOOSH=-
says...

LOL

Well, he is posting from DIYBanter :-\
Well, he is posting from DIYBanter :-\
'course I am. Nothing wrong with that, I assume?
You may also notice I'm a junior member, and as such not used to suc subtle humour (yes, I missed the smiley after the 8%)..
-- Davide
snipped-for-privacy@news.diybanter.com says...

It screws up threading, quotes and attributions, and DIYBanter posters do seem to make multiple identical posts at times. It's a poor substitute for real newsgroup access - even Google Groups is better if used properly.

What's a junior member?
It screws up threading, quotes and attributions, and DIYBanter poster
do seem to make multiple identical posts at times. It's a poor substitute for real newsgroup access - even Google Groups is better if used properly.
Thanks for the advice. Will try to get some newsreader software to pos from now on.
What's a junior member?
I have no idea - I just noticed that my posts from DIYBanter carry thi label under my name; probably related to total number of postings
-- Davide
"Ian Cornish" <"icornish at talk21 dot com"> wrote in message

Usually just filled with mortar, but any exterior silicon will do.

If you use frame sealant then it has the advantage of being paintable, also tends to be a bit more resilient.
--
fred