Wind output reaches new low..

It *would*, if it actually existed.

So let's see, we have all these eco friendly girls blouses in Scotland, and where is this storage? Hmm,. Its here, in my car.

So all those gigawatts - well all 0,02 (actually its up to 01.GW now) have to get all the way down through special expensive transmission lines, to here.

And of course they have to be sized for the one day a year when the wind IS blowing 'just right' when for most of the year they are wasted capital expense, doing almost nothing. Apart from blighting the countryside.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course you are right, otherwise everyone would not be suggesting building the most expensive, useless environmentally destructive, intermittent form of electrical generation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who is gong to pay to decommission all these wind turbines?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can you just not wait until the wind knocks them over?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Didn't you just tell me what the effect of a barrage would be?

Reply to
Steve Firth
[snip]

So why do you blather about it? Batteries are about the most stupid technology conceivable for the storage of electricity in Megawatt hours. Not only are they grossly polluting to manufacture, but they have a short lifetime and are associated with significant CO2 release. Since they all lose charge their true efficiency can be pathetic.

Can anyone? Your prose is hardly the stuff of which dreams are made.

The word like" used there and in that context causes me to imagine that your baseball cap is on backwards, hence reducing your intelligence.

No, I call people ignorant when they are ignorant. I didn't actually call you ignorant though.

Oh, my mistake, you clearly are ignorant.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Depends on the price of Ally .. if thats right then they'll self decommission like power substations and railway signalling does;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

It will have to until we have cleared the lichen and pigeon shit off the solar panels again :-) Never mind. It's a neap tide as well, and it hasn't rained for weeks either. And theres a solar eclipse tomorrow.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

that wont get the 1000 tonne foundations out of the ground.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, Steve, he told you what the effect of one barrage WAS.

I know you have trouble with English, but do try and keep up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you need to get them out of the ground?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Towers are steel Tony.

What's at the top is worth a bit but it will take more than a chainsaw to fell em. I think you can unscrew some bolts though. Or a shaped charge..

What's under the ground is totally worthles. rebar and concrete.

Sails are rubbish too. foam or balsa covered in carbon fibre. Burn well mind you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends on whether you want to return the land to agriculture..and Make It Safe For ChillDrunnA

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

's alright, you won't need to.

Andy Champ

He used it to tell me what the effect of the Severn barrage would be.

I know you have your head up your arse. But from time to time pull it out and smell the coffee.

Reply to
Steve Firth

small

devleoped/built.

B-) The atmospheric railway in Devon, it worked and could shift along at over 60mph. Keeping the vacum was the problem with the leather seal, either getting too stiff or being eaten by rats...

The demonstaror I've seen piccies of just had ordinary compressed air cylinders feeding a piston engine of some sort. Think steam engine without the steam.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Aren't they working on using bacteria to do just that? We are already shift vast quantities of "diesel" about.

Similary you could have an air liquification plant where there is a suitable renewable energy source be that hydro or sunlight. We are already shift vast quantities of liquified natural gas about.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A complete barrage probably is a Bad Idea but tidal lagoons or sets on the seabed in the flow aren't so daft. Lagoons still run the risk of silting up but careful design of flow patterns should make them largely self cleaning.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

He used to to show that there is great uncertainty in waht a barrage's effect will be.

I'll take that as an admission that I am right, then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think its algae, but yes, its a promising avebune of research at least.

But you catnt break the laws of physics. You still need massive acreages of tanks or whatever

The problem is, that you need a substantial area of Britain to e collecting sunlight at 100% efficiency to run the country.

If its at 10%, its nearly all the country. At the sort of traditional biofuel levels of 1%,. or less its rather more than ALL the country.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher