Wind and drains !

HI All

When the wind's from a particular direction (North / North-west) (and we're talking meteorology rather here than digestion!) we get problems with a 'drains' smell inside & outside the house.

The house is a 1 2/2 storey building - built in the last couple of years. The main bathroom, the shower room and the office (all of which suffer from this smell) are all at the same end of the building - bathroom upstairs - other 2 rooms below.

Drainage is to a septic tank.

The foul drain comes down the outside of the house into the ground, top end of this pipe goes into the upvc soffits and into the roof space. Here it runs to the toilet, with a tee off (still in 4" grey plastic) which appears to go up to a square roof vent near the apex of the roof. As the bathroom's got a pent roof, it's not possible to see exactly where this pipe goes without ripping the ceiling down.... - but it does seem to have a fair bit of 'play' in it - which makes me wonder if it's come adrift from the roof vent.

So - recommendations as to the best course of action...?

I'm tempted to disconnect the pipe that runs up into the ceiling space and replace it with an air-admittance valve - to see if that fixes the problem - but that's going to require a bit of saw-work as the upright timbers that form the side-walls of the bathroom are only about 12" apart - and there's no room to work at the moment...

Thanks in advance Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Er - that's 'one and a half' storey - where the upstairs rooms are partly built into the sloping roof....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian