Wiki offline

I'm using Thuderbird and Dave's post seem to be coming through perfectly. I wonder how many newsreaders don't cope with them?

Reply to
Steve Walker

They don't have to. The ones that do are obeying the age-old maxim which says something like be strict in what you generate, and forgiving in what you accept.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How much are we paying for this hosting? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

My text/terminal mode tin seems to cope with them with no issues.

Reply to
Chris Green

RFC 5536

"The MIME header fields MIME-Version, Content-Type, Content-Transfer- Encoding, Content-Disposition, and Content-Language are used in Netnews articles in the same circumstances and with the same meanings as those specified in [RFC2045], [RFC2183], and [RFC3282]"

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think you may have your irony/sarcasm filter set at the wrong level :-)

For the avoidance of doubt, by wiki I did indeed mean the diy wiki and not wikipedia. (as I am sure you are aware there a multitude of wiki sites out there of which wikipedia is just one)

I also concede that there were typos in my original post, which was typed in haste, and I did not proof it with care.

However, I would suggest absorbing the (imperfect) message and not shooting the messenger!

(However in the scale of usenet sins, I would argue that dodgy spelling/typing rates lower than posting binary encoded responses on text only news groups! :-))

Reply to
John Rumm

On the whole I've not seen reason to move beyond my v1.2 despite its age. I like off-line readers. I like the way I can click a thread to "Watch" and the next time it downloads the bodies.

I've tried Thunderbird and it is not as smooth If push came to shove though that is what I'd use which would give me the benefit/disadvantage of being able to click on links instead of having to copy/past

I struggle with the on-line ones that require scoring. I'used to have one that acted as a server on one of my machines (Hamster?) and then pointed my Newsreader to that.

Is there a good free off-line newsreader? I suppose I could work through

Claws is another piece of software I've failed to get on with.

Apologies to John for going off-topic.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Well, sorry to continue, but it is just thread creep and related to the original.

An alternative to off-line is to run your own news server, that's what I do. I use leafnode which is designed for such, i.e. a couple of users on a relatively slow connection.

Reply to
Chris Green

Ditto.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It's a nice round number!

Reply to
John Rumm

Under Agent, General Prefernces, I had Usenet Text=Base64 and Email Text="Quoted printable (MIME)". These must have been defaults - I certainly didn't put them there. Perhaps the receivers of gobbledegook were looking at an email reply rather than a usenet reply.

Available choices for those two are 7bit/8bit, MIME, and Base64. I will now try setting them both to 7bit/8bit. In addition they each have a checkbox labelled 'MIME Headers' - the Email one was ticked, but I have now unticked it.

Reply to
Dave W

No I did not know that.

I only bunged that in along with my original query. I would never make a special posting to complain of typos.

Reply to
Dave W

I'm afraid the headers of my trial post are exactly the same as before. They still say Content-Transfer base64. Perhaps it's Eternal September that's defining it.

Reply to
Dave W

Did you check C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent\Data\AGENT.INI

and see if the text in there says "base64" or not ?

It could be, that you are unable to save the preferences because TrustedInstaller owns the folder.

Now, on Windows 10, I seem to be able to save it OK.

*******

If I do Properties on C:\Program Files (x86)\Agent\agent.exe, the Compatibility isn't enabled. Which means mine runs with Windows 10 rules for the time being, and yet I appear to be able to save "AGENT.INI" preferences file OK.

Verify you are able to save the preferences. If that is not working, experiment by changing the Compatibility of the agent.exe executable.

I'm using a copy of 1.93 just to verify the preferences saving works, and it seems to work in Windows 10. When it really shouldn't. Preference files stored in Program Files is a No-No for Windows. It hasn't allowed that in some time.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Dave W snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I agree that your headers post edit are the same.

I'm not an agent user but wonder if it's possible that you are editing the default profile for general preferences and that some custom profile has accidentally been applied to this NG meaning that it is not looking to the default profile for its settings.

I also spotted the following on a random faq page:

"The MIME quoted printable option can be configured separately for each language you have configured in Agent. See...

Options | General Preferences | Languages "

Likely you have only one language configured but I suppose it is worth looking at.

Next step is to look at every setting tab to look for relevent switches in unexpected location.

Paul's suggestion to search agent.ini for offending entries makes sense too, it is good to still have some proggies that store their settings in legible ini-s, v useful for this kind of thing.

I'm guessing that if you make a support request at forteinc then you will be encouraged to make a paid upgrade.

Btw, it is agent that is doing this and not the news server, it's not their thing and base64 is also being seen on proper newsreaders but mine is decoding it automatically.

Thanks for persevering.

Reply to
Peter Burke

They are.

No, it's definitely Agent doing it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

So much so that I even have a 'house' wiki. The family can find useful stuff like how to reset the boiler, access codes for obscure stuff, etc.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, I would use MIME headers and probably MIME for email

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is not

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I use [doku]wiki for my wiki, it's a really nice format as the content is a simple human readable markup language.

Reply to
Chris Green