Wickes RCD tester, One for the sparkys

Are these any good -

By 'good' I mean is it (un)likely to miss a dangerous fault ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I have no experience of that tester but in general I have found Schneider products quite well made which bodes well for the tester.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I'm not a sparky, but it doesn't do a full RCD test as an electrician would do it. You're supposed to do a test at 50%, 100% and 500% of RCD rated current, at both 0 degrees and 180 degrees and there are thresholds on how fast the RCD should trip:

That one does 100% but not 500%, and not at both phase angles, so it's not a full test. I don't know the likelihood of passing a 100% test but failing to trip fast enough on a 500% test, but I could imagine a 'slow' RCD exceeding the rated trip time under high currents.

It's 'better than nothing' I suppose, and it's nice to have on a cheap socket tester. But it's not enough to prove an RCD safe.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

IME, Schneider stuff is usually ok. The socket testers generally do what they are supposed to and will find a number of fault conditions. The RCD test facility is a basic go/nogo test, and does not have any of the more subtle testing capabilities of a "proper" RCD tester, but is better than nothing.

There are some faults they can't really "see" though - like a high impedance joint, or a higher than expected earth loop impedance.

Reply to
John Rumm

Kewtech do one that checks for reverse L/N which most socket testers don't and it gives a R/A/G check of earth loop, still only only does a 'basic' test of RCD functionality, but then so does the TEST button on a RCD itself.

seems to have shot up in price since I bought one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Good enough for me to email work so that the link can be put in the lads room so the apprentices might buy one.

It seems that it does a 30mA delta 1 test (ie tests it at 30mA imbalance) and runs the imbalance for 300ms to see if the RCD trips in that time which is more than the test button on a RCD does.

I am not sure what the earth indicator does. I presume you are the earth when you touch the metal button through capacitance. I am not sure that this is a replacement for some other socket testers that do a basic earth loop test (ISTR a pass or fail with a set limit of some sort).

It's a bargain.

Reply to
ARW