Wi-Fi range extender.

My phone is showing 19 Wi-Fi access points here - and it's an old phone and not particularly sensitive. But everything on Wi-Fi here seems to work ok.

Given how many TVs etc now have a network connection, that starts getting very complicated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you checked what channels they are using? There may still be some free ones; although it's unlikely given the number of access points you see. Another possibility is to swap to the 5Ghz band, which is not used as much (yet).

Interference from other networks can lead to performance degredation, even if it does not appear to cause problems.

True. But it's worth doing IMHO.

And dare I suggest Homeplug devices as an alternative?

Reply to
Mark

I agree. But there are a lot of devices that don't have an ethernet socket, eg smart phones and tablets.

I've found the Lidl WiFi extender more or less impossible to set up as a WiFi extender; I have another extender (WN518N, not sure where it came from) which works fine as an extender, so the problem does not lie entirely in my head.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

In the last 6 months or so, I've acquired half a dozen things that can make use of a network connection. To cable all that lot to my (neat ;-)) standards would be a vast amount of work. And given they all seem to be ok using Wi-Fi, I'm not going to bother.

See above. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had a similar situation. After faffing about with extenders, proxy servers with a second SSID, and more powerful routers, the only reliable fix was a homeplug.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

if I turn off our AP there won't be any other APs visible. B-)

It's the TV's that may well cause a problem with WiFi when they are streaming/buffering something as fast as your 'net connection will allow. Bit of email and web browsing isn't a great user of bandwidth.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What's the security like on a Homeplug? (When it leaks into the neighbour's house).

You know where you are with Wifi - so just curious...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I doubt enough signal would leak into another house unless there's something weird with your wiring. Homeplugs do some kind of encryption but I don't know how good it is.

Yes. You know GCHQ is listening.....

Reply to
Mark

In article , Johny B Good wrote: [snip]

Thanks for that, Johny. I do have the old router - redundant since BT supplied a new one when I changed to them and fibre.

So since flushed with success in getting the Lidl one working I had a go at it using your instructions and it's fine. Also allows me to loose a hub at that location and use it instead. So two birds with one stone.

Anyone want a Lidl range extender? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have FTTP from BT?

The vast majority don't they have VDSL and FTTC. Bit of pisser here, new duct pulled in under our forecourt this week to get fibre down to the cabinet in the village 2 km further away from the exchange. Our line takes a different route back and is already 3 km long a loop down and up adding 4 km I don't fancy on the ali... Also VDSL @ 2km is only about 15 Mbps, we already have 6 Mbps on ADSL2 (2 not 2+, 2+ might get to 7.5 Mbps).

Plus point there is going to be a joint in the 24 fibre cable 200 m away in the direction of the exchange. Extra duct drawn in, 20 yds of trench across our carpark. FTTP. B-) Bet it'll still cost an arm and a leg to install.

Tempted, a relatively cheap "one box" solution AP. Coverage here is not very good but the AP is in a very sub-optimal location. (Back of desk downstairs).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not sure of the exact details, but they seem to be limited to one ring, and they won't work past an RCD. Either way they are paired by encryption, so not casually hackable.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Be useless for my purpose then since I have one ring per floor. And the router is on the ground floor one. The Wi-Fi reception problem on the top floor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Run a CAT6 *outside* the house ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Don't need to. Already have a CAT6 cable to the top of the house - run internally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Mark scribeth thus

Thats just what I did one Christmas a few years ago, been very useful ever since:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Ooooh!, Nasty don't want to go there, the interference they cause;!!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Put some RFI suppression on them, then.

Reply to
John Williamson

They certainly do. My pair aren't only on separate rings, they're on separate consumer units (well, one's hanging off the other, but)

Reply to
Adrian

My Devolo equivalents re definitely ok across more than one ring (no RCDs on the relevant consumer unit), and I'm pretty sure I've tested them across CUs (I've got 3 - the other two of which *have* got RCDs!)

But everything apparently needs to be on the same meter.

They have quite good encryption - and default pass-phrases which would take a long time to guess, even if automated. [An apparently random string of 16 letters - so an automated system would need up to 16^26 attempts - about 2 x 10^31 - and even more if it didn't know the length of the pass-phrase or the fact that they're all alpha caps].

Reply to
Roger Mills

Oh, look, here's the missing "n't"...

Reply to