Why not LED bulbs?

Your next homework question: compute how many such LEDs you'd have to eat (and crunch up on the way) before receiving a lethal dose.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But as LEDs are used more and more, will the factories to produce tungsten filament bulbs remain?

I can see things like new ovens beginning to use LEDs and light-pipes or similar so that they can be installed in a cool spot. Where the heat of the bulb is required, LEDs and separate heating resistors may become the norm.

Direct replacements for lamps in existing equipment may become difficult to obtain.

I wonder how long fluorescent tubes will be available - many outlets have stopped selling the fittings already, switching to LED versions and many, but not all, existing fittings can be converted.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't recall saying that. Are you making silly things up again?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They dim better and add heat

Decent LED are worth every penny.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Im using homebase. They have every single fitting type and candles as well as round uns

Ive gor some dimmable LEDS arounmd that level -n I think Homebase ahain. They dont dim very well mind

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you.

I was hoping for 'Smart' dimmables to get around the switch wiring problem- although the rooms in question may have L&N in the switch pattress - I can't recall. I will try and remember to check tomorrow.

(We've become converts to home automation, more for the fun / novelty I think than anything else- although the Hive heating is probably a good, practical, application.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

The trouble is that G9 LEDs have a much lower lumen output than halogens as they simply overheat in unventilated G9 fittings. In fact, it can be difficult to fit some of the higher-powered G9 bulbs in a fitting designed for a halogen bulb as they are often too wide at the base.

Four years ago I replaced 8 x 42w G9 halogens with what were advertised as 7w LEDs (450 lumen IIRC). I doubt they were much over 200 lumens, and the first one started flickering a couple of months ago. It finally failed last week.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Philistines! It spoils authenticity.

Reply to
Graham.

I did see a dial 'bulb' someone (a fellow radio amateur) had carefully taken apart, preserving most of the glass globe, hollowed out old glue etc, fitted an LED + resistor, and replaced the globe with a bit of glue.

The colour of the light ('glow') wasn't right, although when fitted behind an old glass dial, it wasn't that obvious due to that having aged.

Reply to
Brian Reay

The cheerful lady at Homebase said 'These LED things are still very much work in progress arent they?'

A surpisinly astute remark from a shop assistant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep. Back in the day bulbs were as dim as dennis.

Not much call for 1500K white LEDs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

if you use LEDs to replace dial lamps, use an RGB to get that yellowy white.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, that sounds about right. Not as bright for shaving but more soothing for lying in the bath listening to the radio.

No signs of failure as yet, perhaps helped by the very large fittings involved assisting cooling.

Reply to
Scott

For the avoidance of doubt, my comment had nothing to do with replacement of indicator lamps etc, but referred to the old TV repair man's trick of using mains fed through a filament light bulb as a current limited supply for equipment testing on the bench when dealing with kit using live chassis, and HT supplies etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

What IP rating is for piss protection ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I P155

Reply to
Scott

IP = Impervious to Piss

Reply to
Bob Eager

Correction: Fluorescent lamp filaments contain thorium. Incandescent filament lamps use only tungsten _without_ thorium.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Not that it matters much anyway.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've actually got very few 'bog standard' 'bulbs' here. And that's often where there isn't a single LED available that produces the same output.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)