"Do not combine LED light bulbs and filament bulbs."

The packaging for a self-contained LED lamp says:
Operating temperature -10°C +40°C
Allow to cool before replacing light bulb
Use the same kind of bulbs in lighting units with multiple lampholders. Do not combine LED light bulbs and filament bulbs.
For indoor use only
Please compare the weight of the light bulb to be replaced. Mechanical instability may occur if there is a difference.
Why can't you use different kinds of lamps in a multi-lamp light fitting? All the lamps that are switched on at the same time on the same circuit are (apart from ones on dimmers) effectively wired in parallel anyway. I can see why a hanging light fitting might lean a bit if you put a heavier lamp on one side than the other, but the last instruction covers that.
(I have a 3-way R63 light in one room with 1 CFL & 2 incandescents; I can't see why that's significantly different from the situation in the kitchen, where there are 4 single R63 fittings wired close together, using 2 CFLs & 2 incandescents.)
Also, why is the LED lamp unsuitable for outdoor use (in an appropriate fitting) above -10°C?
Thanks

I think convention is to say *below* -10 deg C Perhaps the electrolyte freezes in the caps?
As for not mixing them, perhaps the manufacturer foresees a scenario where they get sued by someone burning themselves on the one halogen lamp in the fitting they had forgot was there.
Best I can come up with, at the moment.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 19/10/2013 21:36, Adam Funk wrote:

You can generally.

The main issue would come with an enclosed fitting that takes more than one lamp. The LED ones may not withstand the operating temperature of the enclosure when sat right next to a filament lamp.

The appropriate fitting is the key bit - the lamp is not suited to use outside on its own.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 19/10/2013 23:53, John Rumm wrote:

Indeed. I have an LED bulkhead lamp that is rated for outdoor use.
Colin Bignell
On 2013-10-19, John Rumm wrote:

Ah, now if the instructions had said "do not combine ... in an enclosed fitting" I would've thought of that. (It just happens that I only have 1 enclosed light fitting that takes more than 1 lamp, & that one was designed for 2 CFLs.)

Not many lamps are suitable for use outdoors without an appropriate fitting!
On 20/10/2013 19:40, Adam Funk wrote:

Those for use in festoon lighting "ropes" spring to mind...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 2013-10-21, John Rumm wrote:

Yabbut I'd assume that any lamp is not suitable for "bare" use outside unless it's marked as such. Putting "not suitable for outside use" on a lamp (as opposed to a light fitting) makes it sound like it's not suitable for outside use at all.
On Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:36:51 PM UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:

Heat kills LEDs, eg 100w filament plus 5w LED in a glass globe

Corrosion due to damp.
NT
Well, most of this is just protecting their backs. If the fitting is enclosed then the filament bulbs can overheat the electronics of the other bulb of course, merely due to proximity and the enclosed design. I have also noticed that some cfls do not like being in cold places like sheds etc, and can be dim or simply not strike at all. as for LEDs I don't know enough about how their power supply orks to make an educated guess, but I'd imagine it might be that much i like cfls the electronics get condensation if outside and can fail due to that.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Adam Funk" < snipped-for-privacy@ducksburg.com> wrote in message
On 20/10/2013 09:22, Brian Gaff wrote:

Unless you need "always on" outside lights there is little point in using CFLs for that application. Filament lamps give instant on at any temperature, and good light output. In applications where the total run time per year is relatively low, then the cost of running them becomes far less significant.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 17:20:39 +0100, John Rumm

The problem I find is failure due to wind vibration of the fitting. I have three spiral CFLs in the coach lamps outside, they have reasonable switch-on brightness and CFLs outside seem to last forever.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 2013-10-20, Graham wrote:

I have CFLs in all the outside lights & get similar results (reasonable but instant switch-on & very long life).

Ditto with the spiral CFLs from CPC. They've been going for years and I can't see me ever getting through my small stock of spares.
--
Mike Barnes

+1
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 2nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3179
Human being; a spacesuit for a fish
On 2013-10-21, Adam Funk wrote:

Oops, that should be "reasonable but not instant"!
On 21/10/2013 14:54, Adam Funk wrote:

You can get ones intended for outdoor use which are quicker to warm up under frosty conditions. LED ones shouldn't suffer as badly at least in the UK although electrolyte freezing damage possible at < -10C or so.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 21/10/2013 12:15, Adam Funk wrote:

I installed all my outside lights about 5 years ago or so, not had to replace a filament bulb yet (these are PIR switched).
--
Cheers,

John.