Why is an EV's backup power less than it's driving power?

Huh, no.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Your computer or anything else electronic with switched mode certainly will. First stage is to rectify it, which will simply do nothing. Resistive heating will be fine. Only AC motors will not work.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You've just admitted you're an ignorant money wasting resource wasting upper class twit. You're the sort that will die off because you can't do anything with limited resources.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's very easy actually, and I'm about to make my own UPS cheaply doing that very thing. And had a similar arrangement when I had my own solar system.

You get a 240V-coil relay and power the coil from the grid. So the contacts move according to if the grid has power. One contact switches on the invertor. The other contact moves the load to the grid or the invertor output. Since that contact cannot be in two places at once, the inverter output can never go to the grid.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, first stange is to drop it.

Try it then, and film it would be interesting to see the result.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Actually no I cant. I have all replies to existing conversations in a seperate folder, it's tidier and more efficient that way. If you delete context, don't expect a discussion on it.

I did google it first, why would I waste time with the likes of you if the answer is on google?

I understand you're misinformed. FFS just go try to buy one.

Unlikely. How would an invertor do that?

Life is more fun when you don't take responsibility.

I don't have insurance on anything, it's a rip off. You do realise they make money, right?

I do if and when I am proved wrong. That will never happen with you.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Anybody who puts safety above expenditure is pathetic.

STOP FUCKING ABOUT WITH THE NEWSGROUPS! This belongs in THREE newsgroups. People who do not subscribe to your group are in the conversation you utterly selfish prick. Stop wasting my time adding them back in!!!!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And therefore realise it shouldn't add much to the cost.

You could, depends how automated you want your house to be.

Easy enough to add your own connector forpoutput, and easy enough to plug both in when you get home.

Absolute and utter bullshit in the extreme, this is a very simple thing to do, and anyone with basic electrical knowledge can do it themselves. It's as easy as fitting a solar panel system.

STOP EDITING THE FUCKING NEWSGROUPS YOU UTTERLY PATHETIC TROLL.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Were you bullied at school? You really are pathetic. Why do you feel the need to be safe? Don't tell me, you actually wear a cycle helmet and a use a seatbelt, just in case....

STOP EDITING THE FUCKING NEWSGROUPS YOU UTTERLY PATHETIC TROLL.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's not rocket science to take a 400V battery and make 240V AC out of it.

I already explained the relay to you.

I have never worked at such a place. Why can't people make their own food?

By the way, I did install my own solar system. Sold the panels to someone going to Africa, since there isn't any f****ng sun here.

You failed. Grow up.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Just before the seatbelt law was introduced in the UK, only ONE THIRD of all drivers wore them. Therefore you are in a minority.

3rd last warning.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Easy, use the relay I mentioned.

Awwwww, you care about workers nothing to do with you. You f****ng pathetic humanitarian.

Any sensible electrician working on the line will not assume there is no power there.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Fuck the warnings. Killfile it is. You clearly don't understand usenet.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not with a PC power supply.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They specify the power of the motors so the consumer knows how much acceleration to expect - just as you get HP ratings on petrol cars (I won't write ICE because that means In Car Entertainment, the acronym was already taken), and therefore their battery will provide that much (at least briefly - there are some shit EVs without battery cooling which have a problem going up a long steep hill, like the French Alps.)

I'm confusing nothing. When I say kWh I mean capacity. When I say kW I mean how much you can draw at one time. I do not confuse energy with power, I have a degree in physics.

If you can afford a Ford EV Truck, you can afford a big inverter.

They'd lose me as a customer.

Have you ever used a battery?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm 47 and drive as fast as the car will go. 1/3rd of the population do. Why would you limit yourself?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You were discussing (in the bit you snipped from your own text!) how speed was related to motor/battery power. Yet you wrote how distance travelled was related to battery capacity. Completely a different thing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Funny, those 18650 cells I have specify a maximum output current. Exceed that and they get hot.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If I were to switch the governor bit off, my Audi can go 156 MPH. Well, the ski rack might slow it down a tad.

I don't think I've ever driven a car over 120, and that was enough.

Reply to
John Larkin

WTF? Governors are set to 155, that's the EU agreement. So yours limits you by 1mph?

I went 140 in a rental car, it was great fun. And not enough, I was still accelerating but there were slow French drivers ahead doing about 95.

I've never owned a car that will go over 120.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey