Why don't we have spherical wheels on computer chairs, which would easily rotate in any direction, like the ones in the old mice?

Are you telling me Acme make what I want?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Fredxx

I don't move my computer chair, so don't get that. I only have to swivel the seat to get up. However, I do have furniture moving dollies; triangular bits of ply with a castor at each corner. Those have 4" diameter castors and have no problem moving heavy furniture across almost any surface, so I think it is the castor size that causes the problems the people on here are reporting.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Is that 100 Euros EACH? 500 Euros to upgrade a computer chair is absurd. A simple bearing shouldn't cost that much.

I've found Omnitrack themselves on Ebay, but they only advertise ball transfer units, not castors, I'll message them.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Firstly, you never want to sit in front of a different part of the desk?

Secondly, don't the arms smash into the desk when you rotate it?

Anybody using a supermarket trolley would disagree.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They replied instantly. This is the smaller version, but still, $50 each is ridiculous:

I'll go chinese:

Commander Kinsey

The issue is that balls can roll between two planar surfaes brilliantly, but they cannot rotate with respect to just ONE surface without an axle or at least a cup that has friction between it and the ball, which defeats the point entirely.

You are reinventing the paleolithic log roller, and discovering why the wheel worked better....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe a flat air bearing mounted on each leg?

Reply to
Bill

Why would I want to do that? The layout is designed for me to work from a single position, which is much more efficient.

They can just touch the keyboard shelf, if it is extended, but that doesn't cause a problem. At worst, the shelf just gets pushed back a bit.

That is down to maintenance, which is an entirely different problem

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Just make it a hovercraft....flat base with a fan and a skirt. Fire up the fan when you want to move...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is friction in the axle of a normal wheel, and even more friction in the likes of a computer chair or supermarket trolley caster, which have two axles.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So you only use a computer, you never use the chair to read some paperwork sat to your right?

Also, the human body is not designed to sit in one position, I often adjust my position a bit to avoid wearing out one particular vertebrae etc. Car seats are a pest.

Why not put the keyboard on the desk?

I must have different shaped body parts to you, because the arms of my chair are 1.5 inches above the surface the keyboard sits on.

Most chairs irritate me by having arms far too low down, this chair has an adjustment up and down for the arms. Maybe I don't have long orangutan arms?

Nonsense, the whole design is flawed.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And add another fan for sideways movement, so you can go to the other end of the office at 50mph.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Trying that would result in my knees hitting the drawers. I use the centre of the desk top for paperwork I am looking at.

Wrong height. The keyboard shelf is about three inches lower than the desk top and at an ideal height for typing.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Erm from that site:- " Note: Usage Method: The main ball points upwards, when used downwards it gets stuck. Non-quality problems."

Not a lot of use for your(TINY) computer chair

Reply to
soup

Don't you ever want to look at papers and the keyboard at once?

I have no drawers on this desk, they're a pest for the knees. Drawers are elsewhere out of my way.

Then change the height of the chair?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I read somewhere it works both ways, maybe that was another Chinese seller. Probably the same product. Anyway I bought the one with the M10 peg, looks pretty industrial. And I see no reason it would know which way up it was. All it feels is pressure from both ends.

What is "non-quality problems" is English?

My computer chair is the normal size, what is your point?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Having papers on the desk top, between the keyboard and the centre screen allows me to do exactly that.

Where, presumably, you have to get up to get things from them.

Then the deck top would be too low for writing.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

That makes the screen further away.

No, because my chair is on wheels. And what would be so bad in getting a bit of exercise anyway?

Uh.... I like precisely the same height for typing and writing, and I can't see why you wouldn't. You're using the same hands on the same surface.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

About a metre, which I find is a comfortable viewing distance for a 24" monitor. Having the monitors at the back of the desk also means I have a large work area in front of them.

Reply to
Colin Bignell