Why do LEDs generate heat?

yes and why most of us have evolved without fur, which is a trade-off which means we get cold quicker, because the energy we used to use just to keep us warm now goes into feeding our brain rather than wasted in produciung heat.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Does it even make sense? Can a DC device even have a power factor?

I mean what the mains sees.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The question only had four possible answers - "AC", "DC", "both", or "neither".

I know all about current flow, holes in semiconductors etc. But that's irrelevant. I asked if the flow was one way or both.

My point exactly. For typical we need data on many homes.

that would be even better, but not necessary.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes it can.

The mains will see what power is taken by whatever yuo are using as a power supply rather than the actual LED.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I don't know of any washing machine that plugs into a DC supply. They may exist I don;t know and care about as much. Older washing machines were usually run by women turning handles and rubbing clothes on rocks or wash boards.

If a washing machine is on a boat that uses batteries to power things and the washing machine is on an inverter are you saying the washing machine runs from AC or DC. Whatever you think is irrelivant to me, so I don't care.

So yuo're question makes no sense to me and can;t be answered as you'd like it to be, so for me it's a dumb question asked by someone that is equally dumb.

Work it out yourself.

So go find it.

It would be necessary for a meaningful result.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Bullshit, we can produce heat as and when required. But with fur, you can't cool down with sweat. In summer you're f***ed, which is why cats doze off all the time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only to a limited degree that's why lots of explorers died at the North and south poles over the years.

yes yuo can, through a tongnue or nose and eleephantsb use their ears.

So they don;t have to waste energy to heat themselves unlike you which means less energy for the brain, which can be used for other things, which is why the human being in general is the most evolved species on the planets because of the brain, but I can understand why you are jealous. So why not learn from superior inteligence of teh human race rather that sit in a stream of cold water and thinking you've evolved more than everyone else as most of us don't see the point unless it;s some sort of festish you have.

Reply to
whisky-dave

What does it mean? I can understand lagging or leading current in AC, but how can that happen in DC?

Surely the power supply doesn't completely hide its load? If you put an inductive load onto the secondary of a simple transformer, or a resistive load on the same transformer, can't you detect the difference on the primary side?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I't doesn't and that is why it has a power factor of 1 (ONE)

The phase differance between the current & voltage is zero degs, the cosine of zero is one. In AC the power factor can be up to ONE but not above ONE.

No it doesn't.

No idea and I care even less.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The motor silly.

Were they naked?

Not possible without dismantling the machine.

Google failed me.

No, only for a very meaningful result.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Every washing machine that I have seen that plugs in has a 3 pin plug on it designed to work from AC.

No. Is that one of your fantasies... AC/DC ?

It's both in AC, it's not in DC

can't you look at the label or instructions. Something like this applience needs to be connected to.... There's usually some clue somewhere.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The motor usually does not have a plug on it.

No point in having two sets of clothes, just take them off, wash them, then put them back on to dry. Bloody prudes.

TENS machines are AC.

And which is it in the motor?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How do you know, I'd assume most are conencted to a mother board or PCB of some sort using a connector that could be described as a plug that fits into a socket.

Is that what you were doing waiting in the cold stream for your clothes to dry ? Do you only have one set of clothes too.

Well good luck with it hope you enjoy it.

That would depend on the type of motor.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not a "3 pin plug on it designed to work from AC".

I didn't take any with me, well only shorts.

How odd that was the first thing that came to your mind. They're actually used for many things - pain relief for example. I know a woman who has one attached to her back for most of the day. It prevents the muscles cramping up.

Of course you can also torture folk with them.

Evasion again.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But that still won't tell you if a motor is AC or DC. Most people buy washing machines that plug into the AC mains.

It was one of the first things that came up.

Do you have a pain in yuor vagina ?

IS it AC or DC ?

Torture pleasure, there;s a thin line to cross. I guess you've never been to the torture garden.

yuo can buy both AC & DC motors.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, whisky-dave snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Does your PC come with Auto-Contradict mode already installed, or do you have to download it and install it yourself?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

<spit> I use a Mac.
Reply to
whisky-dave

I was considering the operation of the motor, not the whole washing machine.

You dirty old man.

they can be connected elsewhere.

AC. Pulses of 1 to 100 Hz. Apparently the cheap shit ones are DC (as in the pulses always flow the current one way), these can damage muscles.

Huh?

The what?

Presumably it's more common for one of them to be in a washing machine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So DC doesn't have a power factor. Just up there you said it could.

Then start doing so.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why.

When most people do the washing they have to use the whole washing machine not just the motor in it.

I'd never heard of TENS before as a company or supplier.

I've never used that company or it's products, at last there's something you know more about, I['m happy for you.

'Apparently' how do pulses flow and in which direction ? Seems like a ripoff product sold to the clueless.

Yes, Exactly.

Yes, Exactly.

no shit sherlock.

Reply to