Why cn't card shops open?

though one doesn't send individually wrapped, at 1.50 each, type cards to co-workers

you buy a bumper box of 100 for 4 quid

It was never about the cost.

HTH

tim

Reply to
tim...

I do.

They're the ones I got the year before - I pull out the inner paper with the writing on and laser-print a new one.

Or if they don't have an inner paper I cut the picture on the front off and mount it on plain card.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It was left to each individual to calculate the notional saving. It was a donation to charity so you could choose the amount anyway.

Reply to
Scott

That's just an example of how "open" ours is. Not very open. Lots of shops still closed. Only "essentials" open, and the barbers was open.

It's not near enough for you to get a haircut.

In the area where people were walking, there probably wasn't more than about 20 people. Sorta deserted looking.

And with that sort of turnout, there's no reason for a jewelery store to open or a cards shop. It's a bit chicken and egg. Not much open. Not many people.

I was dying to get a haircut, that's why I tried it out. Wearing my little N95 mask and all.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Not at all. 'What an ecologist / environmentalist more like and someone who isn't 'entertained' by commercially printed words in a bit of folded cardboard.

What I find interesting is when people think *I'm* strange because I

*don't* buy into other people stupid (and often commercially generated) customs.

That says it all though eh. ;-(

Yours maybe. ;-)

One nearly lit up my Mums lounge when it was blown off the top of the surround for the gas fire and into the burner.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup, in the 'olden days'. ;-)

I can remember seeing the postage bill (and the huge sheets of stamps) Dad used to buy, just to send Xmyth cards. ;-(

Hehe.

Well, 'mushroom' and 40" tellies. ;-)

Cards from kids. "Right, that's supposed to be a dog is it. Take it back and try harder ...'.

Cards from distant reles: "Nope, not been married to Samatha for 10 years now ... something you might have known, 1) had we spoken during that time and 2) I had sent you an Xmyth card during that time (but you didn't seem to get that I hadn't and there may have been a reason). ;-)

Cards from mates: WTF, what sort of mate are you when you know I don't like / want cards and it's already in the bin / recycling.

Cards from family: WTF, you know I don't like / want cards and it's already in the bin / recycling. ;-)

I think we got 3 Xmyth cards this year .. 1 from a local Kebab shop, one from a 'mate' who insisted, even though I have told I just bin them and one from some elderly woman (from the spiders handwriting) who thinks the previous owners still live here, and I've been here over 30 years now!

What I tell people is if you really feel you have to send me a card, give the money to charity instead, *that* I'll actually appreciate as it means you actually care about me. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hehe. That's what answering machines are for mate and as long as they have said their 'bit', most won't care if it's to the machine or you in person. ;-)

Well, they are often the only indication that someone is still alive. I wonder why you didn't care enough to find out between two Xmasses?

Is that when people still scrubbed their steps and painted them red?

Yup ... and most people I know will still ring when they have more than some short background not_time_sensitive info to get across.

Yup, all good environmental progress. ;-)

Well, considering they were only 'invented' in 1843, the tradition has only been going for a fraction of the time that Xmas itself has so ... ?

And what clever marketing. Invent a postal system then invent a 'tradition' to send cards though your system!

Maybe it's because I always had the job of putting the strings up and often hanging the cards on them for Mum and Dad, I really cba to do the same here. That and being an atheist etc. ;-)

That was another discussion / argument I was party to as a kid, Mum and Dad 'deciding' what names should be removed and which added. Along with arguing over what card to give to whom and their current addresses etc.

I'm really glad that's all one less load of stress I have to deal with these days.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Mine doesn't expect one from me (her 90th birthday parties were cancelled because of Covid19) and knows that if she gets one that's seems to reference me in the message, I will know nothing about it. ;-)

Funny how it goes from exchanging actual gifts, exchanging money to get your own gift, to just exchanging money ... to agreeing not to bother.

Yup. At least most of the ladies will have the empathy to open the cards and even put them up. The men will leave them unopened in the draw. ;-)

Quite!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Excellent. What a forward thinking group (and it was much easier than trying to find a suitable card and bothering to write in it and on the envelope, knowing that in most cases it wasn't wanted or appreciated ...).

Hehe. Quite!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 14:01:22 +0100, "tim..." <tims_new snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: <snip>

Some bought 'charity cards' though because they thought 'the money' (the actual cost of the cards) went to charity, when that was rarely the case.

The only cards where cost might come into it is if you are trying to impress a potential girlfriend ... who wouldn't be like my Mrs and see / deem such as 'a waste of money'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Then I have to leave 60 messages in reciprocation :-)

Nor the other way round for that matter. I think it's a reflection of the pace of life.

I assume you cannot buy paint that is up to the job anymore.

Agreed.

My favourite was when I got a card and letter from a former colleague saying he and his wife took friends and friendships very seriously and liked to see each of their friends each year. Over the years they had decided they could only have 40 friends at any one time. During the year they had met two new friends, resulting in a need for a review. 'Following this review I have to tell you that your name no longer appears on the list. Consequently, this is the final Christmas card you will receive. L and I wish you well for the rest of your life.'

Reply to
Scott
<snip>

Sensible. ;-)

Most people know I rarely go to parties / weddings / funerals but they often still invite me out of courtesy.

They even preempt the answer .. 'I know you will probably say no but would you like to come to our <event>? Ok, no probs mate ... ' ;-)

What they know though is that if they are in trouble I will do my very best to be there for them, unlike many of the other so called 'friends' at these events.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Besides, they are probably not doing Apathy Birthday cards.

Reply to
RayL12

LOL

Reply to