Why aren't all screws pozidrive?

Lieutenant Scott

[considers licking lemon and lime off a pole] [declines offer]
Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

No, they're not. They're designed to cam out when a certain torque is exceeded, and drywall can easily be soft enough to drive a Phillips screw too far into the material. Driver tools with a depth stop exist for a reason.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

No, they're not. They're designed to cam out when a certain torque is exceeded, and drywall can easily be soft enough to drive a Phillips screw too far into the material. Driver tools with a depth stop exist for a reason.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

And they cam out, they wouldn't if they were pozi.

Reply to
dennis

Toolstation do a security bit set for £3.46

The Medway Handyman

Fuck me backwards - Denboi said something sensible...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Although - its more the effect of the shroud that ensures consistent depth setting than the cam out. You can't rely on cam out alone since what you are screwing into will a variable torque requirement for depth setting.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ever heard of a torque limiter on an electric driver? WAY more accurate, and doesn't damage the screw head. Philips are crap and nothing more.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

've got a set like that, and it's quite useful, but it doesn't cover the System Zero ones that I've seen in some computer parts and (IANMTU) a toaster.

doesn't seem to sell the screwdriver bits now, just the whole screwdrivers. Also, I see from googling that some other suppliers sell them, and someone recommends them for beekeeping!

Adam Funk

It's a taste thing. I do realise there are people with none.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And, operating in Andy Hall mode, you only need amax of a quarter turn to line all the screw heads up.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A brilliant man, sadly missed. But I was doing that long before uk.d-i-y was thought of - after noticing it on an SME head shell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you have no taste, the pozidrive ones are better looking.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

That's called OCD and can be treated.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you think the head is in the correct place when a torque limiter operates? Even when fixing plaster board?

Anyway despite this obvious problem you couldn't get electric drivers with proper torque limiters when Philips heads were invented.

Reply to
dennis

For that I simply slow the variable speed motor by my own judgement. A philips would not help in that circumstance.

I seldom use it anyway, slowing down at the end causes it to stall the motor when the torque required increases.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Besides which, they don't need to be turned to far to make them line up :)

Personally I feel that while they might _look_ prettier with the heads all lined up, I want the thing strong. Which means the same torque setting, and never mind the lining up.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Not actually much use for fixing plasterboard IME since its depth you are interested in and not equal torque (they will be related, but the variation in joist density etc will scupper any attempt to set them just on torque).

The shrouded bits:

work exceedingly well using any drill driver without needing to set torque, or even really pay much attention to setting the screw. Just whizz it in until the bit disengages.

Making the screws pozidriv would actually hinder the process.

Reply to
John Rumm