Why aren't all screws pozidrive?

...in the UK and possibly in some bits of the old empire.

Have a look who invented Posidriv and in what country, the answer surprises many. It wasn't GKN, nor in the UK.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Philips in the USA.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

but when someone has painted over the screw head, slotted screws can be cleaned out before undoing - not something that can be sone with either of the P types.

Reply to
charles

That's only because you hacksaw a slot in them so that you can use your blunt penknife.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Phillips.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sacrificial screwdriver method used here. Heat up the end of the screwdriver in a flame then apply to slot or crosshead and the paint burns out.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Brian Gaff wrote

Slotted screws are not easy to use when 'on site' you are using an electric screwdriver/drill to insert them.

Reply to
Alan

I'm lead to believe that that type of screw head has been in use across the pond since well before the war. We had a set of dining table chairs that were pre-war according to the family source, that had screws like that. The age was backed up by the fact that they were glued with hide glue. I had to make up a tool to take the screws out when maintenance was called for.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

:

Just use a pin to get most of it out in one lump.

NT

Reply to
NT

Screwdriver with a through tang, hammer - then impact driver.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's a frigging good idea.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

WTF? How do they look any cheaper than straight ones?!? If I want fancy screwheads, I buy brass ones.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Alas many modern screws are case hardened, and so damn hard to cut a slot in... (small abrasive wheel in a dremmel style tool will do it though)

Reply to
John Rumm

The fine threads I can understand - they move slower per turn, so presumably make a better contact.

But this has nothing to do with the shape of the head. I'd much prefer not to have my screwdriver slip off the screw and onto a live wire....

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I just look at the angle of the screw and select the correct driver. You need good eyesight like me though.

I look forward to them becoming a third world country.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I've never found a screw which doesn't fit a pozi or philips driver well.

Millions of people are making pozis, I can't see there being a rights problem.

Anyway how did they manage to patent something which is not significantly different to a philips?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I like to use more power. Use an angle grinder VERY briefly.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

different to a philips?

Because it is radically different to a Phillips with different design objectives.

Read and understand the patents for each and then you will appreciate this.

Reply to
The Other Mike

different to a philips?

There's a tiny little fraction of a millimetre difference. It's a philips with the bug removed - the edges weren't straight enough.

Patents screw up the world.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

the subject of a "Fast Show" sketch, AIR

rusty

Reply to
therustyone