Why are Hob Nobs so expensive?

Need a replacement knob for a Diplomat electric hob. Wherever I look they seem to be around UKP10 each. Yet Maplin have similar knobs for

79p. Is there something special about knobs for a hob (like heat resistance) that justifies them being twelve times the price?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

No. They charge that amount for the same reason that dogs lick their bollocks; because they can.

Reply to
Huge

Yes. most cooker knobs etc are thermoSETTING rather than thermoPLASTIC.

So instead of hot plastic into a mould, wait a second and spit the result out, its cold epoxy or whatever they use, and a filler, into a mould, heat the mould, wait for a few minutes and then take the knobs out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes: you want them to match the others and they've designed them so you have to buy from them. They all seem to be made so you can't clean them without the numbers coming off too!

Spose you could replace all the knobs with Maplins ones - though Maplins aren't usually the cheapest of shops. Alternatively, your local tidy tip probably has plenty of old cookers to salvage knobs from.

Spamlet

As to actual HobNobs: I make my own from any flour/oats/breakfast cereal, nuts and currants, sugar, syrup, and butter that I happen to have around. Stuff the mix into a suitable sized piece of plastic pipe and squeeze through using a suitable jar as a plunger, cutting off rounds with a knife as you go. Double bake (bis cuit - meaning twice cooked: once to cook and once to dry), and store in old Pringles cylinders. Quicker than going to the shops and just as good.

Spamlet

f*ck me don't they sell them on Shetland?!

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K