Types of electric cooker hob

Been trying to assess new electric cooker offerings.

Back in 2004 there was a thread "Electric Hobs which type?". From the thread it appears that induction is the best, but unfortunately a lot of the thread got diverted into side issues such as gas cooking.

So, of the 4 types of hob on offer - ceramic, induction, halogen, solarglo:

Q1 How does each one work (or is supposed to work)? Original thread indicated that induction works by electromagnetic induction at around

50kHz & requires cast iron pans. But what electrical method(s) do the other types rely on?

Q2 Which hobs work tolerably as advertised, especially as regards heat up times? The thread indicated that induction reaches temperature almost instantly (& stops quickly too).

Q3 Reliability: How tolerant is each type of mild to moderate misuse - each a ring being left on & forgotten for an hour or so?

BTW I am trying to assess the merits of each cooker SWMBO has been offered. eg One salesman had it that Solarglo is the Hotpoint trade name for Ceramic, which sounds doubtful. Also gas is NOT an option and is not being considered; nor are the options being compared with gas of which we have next to no experience even if it was an option.

TIA

Reply to
jim_in_sussex