Whirlpool fridge freezer

Hi

I've a problem with my fridge freezer. After a few hours running the freezer red light warning comes on and there is no noise from the compresor. If I open the fridge door the light comes on but there's still nothing running except for the fan. If I hit the panel where the dials for temperature adjustment are (at the top of the fridge unit) quite hard the compressor kicks in and all's well for a few hours. Any ideas?

Thanks to any replies

Jon

Reply to
jsee

Just a guess, but I'd suspect that the thermostat is sticking and needs replacing. Does the compressor start if you turn the thermostat to its lowest temperature setting? If it's a bit reluctant to switch I'd expect that might kick it into action in much the same way as a quick thump. I'd replace it. Replacement stats are available from the many online spares retailers and they're usually fairly inexpensive. A cheap solution as long as you can fit it yourself.

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

Thanks Mike that was my best guess too. The compressor doesn't start when I switch the stat to its lowest setting.

Cheers

J> > Hi

Reply to
jsee