Which Yale lock?

Even the old warded rim locks that adorn Victorian interior doors and that would yield to a hair grip usually had screws through a plate over the door edge. If it mounts on the surface of the door, it is, by definition, a rim lock.

More important is the strength of the door frame and the latch plate fitted to it. That will usually give before the door or the lock or, if you have the recommended pair and a half of 100mm long metal hinges, the hinges.

Not necessarily, although it is more secure not to have a thumb turn on the inside.

Mine is about 3mm longer than the Yale rim lock key, because it has an extra pin in the cylinder, but is otherwise similar in size.

Generally, you need most security during the day, particularly when the house is unoccupied. At night, I use a BS 3621 nightlatch and some very heavy duty draw bolts. However, the safest route out of most houses in a fire is through the window; hallways are easily blocked by smoke. An adult can hang from the window and only have a relatively small drop, while children might benefit from a flexible window escape ladder.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Get a mortice with turn button on the inside. This covers the fire escape requirement though it does loose the option of deadlocking to prevent the burglars easy escape.

Personally I have one mortice with key both sides to lock when I am out. A mortice with turn button to lock if inside, and a key on the outside. Plus a night latch, to for general convenience.

They are all operated by the same key: as small as a cylinder type but with holes down the side rather than a serrated edge so kinder to pockets (Not so useful for opening parcels though).

Reply to
DJC

Measure the distance from the edge of the door to the centre of the hole for the outside key. These days there are two standard widths, 40mm and 60mm. I fitted a PBS2 to my mother's back door recently. The lock it replaced (which was marked in imperial) had been there at least since I can remember, which would have been about 1978. The 40mm fitted perfectly, so I suspect these have been standard sizes for decades.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Great - looks like it's 60mm.