Which Washing Machine ??

My Miele has a USB socket - their reasoning is that as washing powder technology changes over the 20 year projected lifespan they'll be able to upload new wash programs to the machine.

Reply to
peter

which means you could back up your wash program, hack it and sneakily upload the hax0red program to someone elses miele washer do extra foam and no wash or just sit there, sulking like an emo washer LOL

Reply to
.

I concur. I did change the element in our (nearly) 12 year old Hotpoint, but only because the integral seal was leaking. No significant scale at all, and I'm in a hard water area.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ain't technology great!

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I turn my machine to Woollens and it fills halfway up the drum, then turn it to the Shrink Coloureds setting for a proper sloshy wash.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you work out the cost of using Calgon every wash you've paid for a new machine in a few years...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What a boring use of technology.

Now if they could put an LCD screen in the porthole and one could upload movies to watch whilst the washing was going round, that would be good (and possibly reinvigorate the entire laundrette business).

At the least one should be able to have personalised "washing's finished" ringtones.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Miele.

A class of its own.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What he said.

Reply to
Huge

Besides which there is the issue of the cost of regular calgon usage - arguably higher than the cost of the repairs that might otherwise be required (notwithstanding what you've said above).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

You can expect 10 years life out of a £200 machine with maybe another £200 on repairs. If I had a house full of kids or was running a guest house, I might choose Miele

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You may be right, but how many have you actually tried? Or rather, can it beat my 15-yo Hoover, on which I have spent about £10 and 10 hours in repairs? (By the way, it's got a bra wire inside it as well, and i don't see how it could shred anything). I do realise of course that today's Hoovers are a different story.

I know one can't buy them any more, but I'd be very interested in any reports of Dyson's washing machine -- both in terms of efficacy and also with respect to reliability.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

It's not just about durability, the Miele does a better job of actually washing clothes as well.

Reply to
peter

We've had three washing machines in our 28 year married life. A Hotpoint which wore out beyond economic repair, a Philips which I repaired several times, but eventually it too wore out, and the Miele, which we've only had a couple of years. It's much better built than the previous ones, which themselves were much better built than today's machines - the Philips lasted about 20 years (the Hotpoint was second hand, so I don't know how long that lasted) - I very much doubt a modern equivalent would last that long.

The salesman in John Lewis said that the Dyson w/m there had to be constantly repaired as people snapped bits off it in the showroom. If they can't survive in a showroom, I don't want one.

Reply to
Huge

I've had two in 22 years. A Servis that lasted about 15, and a Bosch that's still going strong after 7 without a hiccup. A modern Servis looks absolutely nothing like the one I reluctantly threw out (it was still working, but the then house manager objected to the rust), but I would put money on Bosch remaining a sound buy. I've had the lid off it to unhook the dispenser tray for a thorough cleaning, and it's very neat inside.

No doubt a Miele is better, but it's also more expensive. When I bought the Bosch, one salesman suggested I should get 10 years use of it, possibly more like 20 for Miele/AEG, and maybe 2 for just about everything else in the shop :-o

If the OP has access to a John Lewis store, I'd place some faith in their opinion, which is very much not of the "flog what's in stock" variety.

Reply to
lairdy

Incidentally, what is the correct pronunciation of Miele? (I see it's German)

Whilst Google is usually my friend for most questions these days a quick search on 'miele pronounced'

gives at least five different answers in the first ten results!! :-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Reply to
peter

Worringly, the dead Candy I need to replace has cost a grand total of about

10quid (door seal) to run during its 11year life.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Stuart Noble typed

It's not just money though. The inconvenience of a non-funtioning machine costs my mental health quite a bit...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

This would appear to be a common trait. The rustiness of the shell was a factor in buying a new washing machine & tumble drier.

That's what the bloke in John Lewis told us, too. And I have a *lot* of time for JL.

Reply to
Huge